Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so this summer i'm going to be moving from los angeles to charlotte NC. I currently drive a 99 camaro that is being sold and I also have a 92 fj80 land cruiser (play toy) I need to get another daily driver when I sell the camaro and was thinking of getting something that could tow my land cruiser and haul my bed, desk, other personal items over to charlotte in the summer. I've always wanted a diesel and I am eventually going to but a 4bt into the LC, I've found a nice looking 84 4x4 crew cab chevy with the 6.2 but I need to know what the tow/cargo capacity is for this truck? I've also found quite a few suburbans with the 6.2 and would like some info on these aswell. Thanks in advance for this.... i'm guessing all together it will be around 10,000 lbs but after that i'm not planning on towing that much.... will this truck make it across the country ???

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

If the truck is in decent shape and is well kept it should make it across the country no problem.

As far as the towing capacity, it is hard to tell what the rating is without looking at the truck (the rating should be on the truck or in the owner's manual). I will tell you that you can pretty much tow as much as you want with it... It's just a matter of how fast you want to go. It will pull pretty much anything but if you load it really heavy it will slow down quite a bit on hills (as all trucks will if you load them to capacity).

I think it should pull that load just fine, but stopping might a little bit difficult (maybe not, I don't know - depends on what brake setup it has).

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
If you want to tow with a little more grunt look at the 6.5 turbo engine, the 6.2 is a good performer with good economy, but for towing on a freqent basis you might look at the 6.5, they can be found at comparable prices to the 6.2 powered trucks, fully modded like in my signature you can short haul (200 miles or so) a 18K traler without a second thought maybe more I've not had to nor desired to pull that big a load farther, 10K would be an easy pull for me

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
If you want to tow with a little more grunt look at the 6.5 turbo engine, the 6.2 is a good performer with good economy, but for towing on a freqent basis you might look at the 6.5, they can be found at comparable prices to the 6.2 powered trucks, fully modded like in my signature you can short haul (200 miles or so) a 18K traler without a second thought maybe more I've not had to nor desired to pull that big a load farther, 10K would be an easy pull for me
Yep, a turbocharged engine would be better. It's all about speed and the 6.5 will pull it faster and hills will be much easier to conquer...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven't really seen many 6.5's around here (so cal) for that good priced I find tons of good looking 6.2's for 3500 on down.... i'm not really looking to tow that much just this one time... other than most I would tow is stuff i can fit in the bed of the truck

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
When I moved to Wyoming about 10 years ago I had 3 vehicles loaded to the max. My wife was driving an 83 1/2 ton suburban with a fresh rebuilt 6.2 and a tweaked injection pump with a J code intake and heads. It had a turbo 350 tranny and 3.73 gears and was fueled enough to smoke heavily. She was towing a 14 foot stock trailer that I built that was very tall and pulled like a parachute. The gross weight (scaled) of her burb and trailer full of my tools, was 16,500 lbs. I never had to wait for her on the hills as she kept up with the other two trucks. My truck was an 83 Chevy one ton with a 6.5 and a Turbo engineering turbo set up towing a 34 foot gooseneck trailer and a gvw of 23,500. The other truck was a rider truck with an auto tranny and a 5.9 cummins towing a car on a dolly with a gvw of 24,500. In all fairness, the cummins was quick off the line, but the slowest up the hills and also turned in the worst fuel mileage. The 6.2 got the 2nd worst fuel mileage, probably because it was over fueled when we got into the upper elevations. The 6.5 was the king, it walked all over the cummins (rated at 185 hp) and turned in better fuel economy at every stop.

Now, I am a chevy guy, but I have also owned and modded a cummins, all I can say is that in stock form, the cummins doesn't impress me other than you can't hurt it. Modded it was a different story, but it had cooling issues equal to or greater than a modded 6.5 and I never saw an increase in mileage over my 6.5 either.

Enough rambing, if you can find a good clean running crew cab with a 6.2, first check what gear ratio it has, stay away from 4.56's you won't like them, 4.10's are perfect. They either came with a turbo 400 or an sm 465, a np 205 transfercase, dana 60 front and gm 14 bolt rear. The best drive train ever used in a 4wd truck except for the lack of over drive. Do minor preventative maint., change oil, check all fluids, check brakes, check belts, check radiator while engine is running and make sure there are no tiny bubbles in radiator (indicating impending failure of head gaskets) Hook up to your trailer set your speed at 62 to 68 mph and drive on. You will notice I didn't say 75 mph, because without overdrive, 75 is only bearable for short distances.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
lt1fire;1598831; said:
Haven't really seen many 6.5's around here (so cal) for that good priced I find tons of good looking 6.2's for 3500 on down.... i'm not really looking to tow that much just this one time... other than most I would tow is stuff i can fit in the bed of the truck
Keep looking as more & more cross to the "dark side" :D and get a DMAX more & more 6.5s are showing up

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is there a good place to look for 6.2 and 6.5s for sale.... i've been looking in the auto trader and the recycler in the so cal edition but not many are showing up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts