Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All,
Great site ya'll have here. I have been lurking for a little while now, and finally decided I need a little help.

I will be purchasing a LBZ in the next few months. I need a little help with tow ratings though. I am looking for the difference in tow ratings between the 1 ton dually vs. a 1 ton single rear wheel. I will be looking at the Crew Cab, Long bed, 4x4, LT3, LBZ Ally combo. I really would like to stay with the single rear wheel if I can. I understand the Dually will tow better as far as sway is concerned, I am just looking for legal tow ratings. I have looked at the GM site and can't find anything on the single rear wheel. Any help is greatly appreciated.:help:

On Edit: I hope this is the right forum. I thought I posted this topic in this section yesterday, after I posted in the introductions forum. This one doesn't even show under "my topics">>>>>>>Darn Newbies!!!!!!

Thanks in advance!!

CJ

·
Registered
132 Posts
Erie One:

Here is a link to a towing spec page from GM,
http://www.gmc.com/sierra/specsDimension.jsp?vehicle=3500

the dual rear wheels gives #1300 lbs on paper, but have the dealer run a sheet on your truck to see its total with included options - it will be less.

I take the truck, full fuel and my fat butt down to the truck scales to get a true "basic operating weight" to figure actual trailering capacities.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I am looking at a 5th wheel toy hauler with a GVWR of 14k. Looks like I will just barely stay legal at max capacity.

Thanks again for the help.

CJ

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
don't overlook the fact that 4 tires hold more #than 2 it's a safety factor for me.:grd:

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am one of those guys that has been back and forth from single to duals and back to singles again. Nothing beats the stability of the duals when towing. Hands down and I pull a large fiver.

This time I went with a single rear wheel because I no longer live in God open land but in Chicago IL and dualls are a real challange here and not to mention the tolls with duals are 3 times as much. Last year I pulled my fiver 4 times. We did a seasonal site and left it there all season until I brought it home to store it.

Now I am all within weight limits for my trucks. I have scales at work I can use to weight and even with a single I am legal. BUT BUT the ride and stability of the duals are incrediable. If you have room to drive a dually and no tolls to pay I'd be driving a dually. If you plan on pulling very little get a srw. For me today SRW is the way to be, in a few years I might go back to drw, who knows.

6 tires to replace, dually have thier maintenance issues and love to chew up tires. I can't wait, 4 tires to balance, rotate and maintain.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions please ask.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dmaxscott,
What is the tow rating of your truck? Mine will be very similar. Nice pics by the way.

My reason for preferring the single rear wheel is few things. I snowmobile, and go four wheeling quite a bit. Duallys are not that great in snowy or muddy conditions. Maintenance cost. General commuting will be easier with the single rear.
I appreciate the stability and safety factor of the dual rears and have not completely ruled that out.

Thanks for the replies everyone. You have been a great help.

CJ

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I can't tell you about legal tow ratings. I have owned a lot of duallys and for the past many years all SRW, which I prefer. I tow up to 18,000 lb trailers without any problem with a SRW, including up and down California's famous Grapevine. I have towed 33,010 GCVW from LA to Oregon without a problem, but really do not like to exceed 27,000 GCVW very often due to braking inadequacy. Load range on tires are the only problem with a SRW truck, and that is now easy to cure with 265E tires and now 285E tires. My 06 SRW has already put on a few thousand miles of over 22,000 GCVW with tons of power, good mpg, and a pure joy to drive in the mountains.

·
Registered
30 Posts

3500 SRW has a GVWR of 9,900 lbs.
3500 DRW has a GVWR of 11,400 lbs.

3500 with your options will weigh between 7,400 to 7,600 lbs ready to tow (full tank, 5er hitch, etc.)

So, using 7,500 lbs. as the average weight of the truck, the SRW has a load capacity of 2,400 lbs…the DRW truck will have 3,900 lbs of load capacity.

Now, using your toy hauler’s GVWR as a starting point, we can estimate the trailer’s pin weight. Remember, this is an estimate so we'll use the commonly accepted ratio of 20% pin weight vs. total weight of the trailer. Therefore, 14,000 x 20% = 2,800 lbs of pin weight. Since you’ll likely never load the trailer to its weight rating (hopefully), that’s likely to be the most the trailer’s pin will weigh. Over weight for the SRW truck…plenty of capacity for the DRW.

So, what if the trailer weighs 13,500 lbs. loaded up with all your goodies, and your truck is carrying 4 passengers and some camping gear? The truck could easily weigh 8,000 lbs, the trailer weighs 13,500 for a combined weight of 21,500 lbs. The pin weight of 2,700 lbs. brings the total weight of the truck to 10,700 lbs…still too much for the SRW truck.

If you’re like me (and I know I am), you’d opt for the duallie for a trailer that size.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 06 SRW has already put on a few thousand miles of over 22,000 GCVW with tons of power, good mpg, and a pure joy to drive in the mountains.
I'am looking for information as I might be buying a new LBZ and I have never owned a Duramax.

Do you have the auto or manual?
What are you gettin MPG towing and nontowing for your 06 LBZ?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
to me the drw are not a problem or a hassel at all except when you need new tires. but i dont have any problms in parking, driving in HOuston. compared to my srw trucks i have had but i have been driving big work trucks my whole life

·
Registered
23 Posts
The wife and I have been looking at 5ers for the last few months as we are going full time as soon as the house sells.

I'm going with the Dually. I guess its just kinda what ya want, but most of the full time guys I have spoke with that pull heavy 5ers opt for the dual rear wheels.

I perfer the looks of the single rear wheel trucks, not to mention that you can't run a dually through a automatic car wash if needed. Plus the cost of buying six tires instead of four. Plus I have heard that insurance is some what higher for the dually also.

But the dually will give ya more rubber on the road and I think if you are pulling heavy thats a good thing. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My truck weighs @23,500 fully loaded with me and wife in truck and full tank of diesel. Pin weight is with in the proper range also. Triple axle helps with that.

Now don't get me wrong. My old 02 dually pulled much better then my old srw truck both duramax's. The dually road like a caddy with hooked up and my old srw you knew you were pulling. the 4 tires on the road on the back were the trick. If I didn't live in Chicago and paying daily tolls I'd be driving a dually, hands down. Safer and better towing ride. But for me I tow 2 or 4 times a year. Not worth the dually expenses.

And when a dually needs maintenance like and allignment or you have a vibration problem (which I always had with my daully) it is impossible to get fixed. When I start towing weekly like I've done in the past I would go back to a dually withouth question.

My calcs $750 differnce in price between srw and drw. If you have space and don't mind the extra expense of the daully get it. And when someone says the daully is not more maint that maybe true until you run into a problem and no dealers can fix or know how the fix the problem.

I am glad to have a SRW for now. The ride is great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts