Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if its worth using. is there like a certain weight that we should turn the tow haul on?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
321 Posts
I asked the same question about a week ago and recieved mixed responses. I pull a trailer with equipment that ways appr. 4500 pounds. When I am on the highway I dont use tow haul. When I am on smaller roads and lower speeds I use the tow haul for the grade breaking so as not to "over use" my brakes. I pull my equipment appr. 800 miles a week so I am using my tow haul alot. I was told one time that it is a percentage of your Gross vehicle weight that is recommended before you use your tow haul. Not for sure though.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I use it when my tranny temp starts to rise around 200. Most of the time it is when I am on and off the throttle going through the hills. Driving down the highway...there is no use since the TC is locked in overdrive.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
When even im running it really hard I use tow haul, race once without it lost 4 tenths on that pass

·
Registered
774 Posts
I use it every time I pull my 12,000 lb Fifth Wheel, definately worth it.

Pulling an empty car trailer or driving empty I don't.

The best feature of tow-haul is grade braking.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
ripmf666;1577472; said:
When even im running it really hard I use tow haul, race once without it lost 4 tenths on that pass
ha... and i though i was the only one.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I use mine when towing my 9500lb toy hauler, like the others states above the best part about it is the grade-braking.....

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am not sure thart you have gotten an answer, but as you see everyone is different. I di believe the book mentions to start using somewhere around 7,000 lbs. +/-. Either way, the TH mode only effects the shifting points of the trans. Nothing else. When hauling a load is keeps it in gear longer according to the accelaration. Very good feature. Once the trans shifts and is line out on HWY the rpms are normally the same as normal driving. Ansd oh yes, the grade braking as was stated will not work with out TH being on.:)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Tow haul contols converter lock up in 3-4-5 resulting in less wear and damage to the transmission.

·
Registered
31,525 Posts
SS396;1577787; said:
I use it every time I pull my 12,000 lb Fifth Wheel, definately worth it.

Pulling an empty car trailer or driving empty I don't.

The best feature of tow-haul is grade braking.
MAXMSCL;1577839; said:
I use mine when towing my 9500lb toy hauler, like the others states above the best part about it is the grade-braking.....
:exactly:

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Trailer hooked...tow haul on. Just changed my fluid at 200k and its still red and clean. So I guess it works:D.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Yes 1lowdiesel when I got my slip I was like what [email protected]#%! looked down and saw tow haul was off went for next pass and was back on my numbers

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the answers :)

i tow my equipment trailer and bobcat, and that weights about 10,500. im going to start using the tow haul.

:grd:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts