Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer just called, the reason my truck would't run is that the factory put gas in it instead of diesel. So he said they drained the fuel tank and put a new pump in it. Its supposely running fine now, I just hope it didn't cause any other problems.

·
Registered
687 Posts
unfortunately I don't buy that load of bull... It obviously ran somehow because it got on the truck/railcar/etc. The factory did not put gasoline in it....Trust me.....If you have ever seen an end of the line test, you would know I am not fibbing here. Trucks are run off the end of the line through a 3-5 minute dyno roll test that runs the truck through all of its paces,while running all the time on the fuel that was put in the truck during build.

It must have been the pump, or a missed wire. If there was truly gasoline in it, the dumb porter at the dealer is the one that did it to put a full tank in it for you to take delivery...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually the more I think about this, I would say there is a pretty good chance that someone at the dealership screwed up and put gas in it and now they are trying to blame it on the factory.

·
Registered
747 Posts
It seems to me, if someone screwed up and put gas in it, they should be willing to extend(at least double) the warranty on the engine and any other parts that were exposed to the wrong fuel.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
I would ask for a new truck or your money back. Whatever you do dont keep that truck.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I would not take that truck.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Do Not accept that vehicle! Have them get you another.

Gas in Diesels is always a near fatal thing. I can remeber seeing a Kubota tractor that had gas run in it, what a mess,
and it's pressures/tolerances are much less than Dmax motors. Even after "Repair", tractor was not right. Should have replaced entire motor/fuel system. Owner ended up selling at auction.
Lost his ass on the deal!

Yes, it definitely sounds like a lot porter screw up. I was fortunate, that i was the one that put the 1st tank of fuel in my GMC, self serve, courtesy of the dealership.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Hey, I actually agree with PC on something.
Will wonders never cease?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WILL THAT CAUSE PROBLEMS IN THE FUTURE? NOW IM WONDERING.

·
Registered
570 Posts
9W3-HD,

Sorry to about your problems
. If it were me in your shoes, I'd tell them too keep the truck and order a new one
. That simple mistake will leave you wondering if any damage will result for the life of the truck. You bought a new truck to use and enjoy, not worry about it.

Just my .02

·
Registered
648 Posts
9W3-HD

Don't keep the truck!!! An extended warranty won't get you home if your 100's of miles from home with a loaded trailer and a dead truck (quote from my dad - see below). GM WILL replace the truck.

My dad purchased a new 4WD cab-and-chassis (back in 97) that puked it's transfer case on the way home from the dealer. The dealer picked the truck up via rollback and offered every deal in the book to convince dad to take the truck. Long story short: He stood his ground and they ordered him another one.

Here's another way to look at it: if some retard put gas in the tank, who knows what else happened to the truck before you got it...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Don't know how much trouble you'll have down the road, but anytime at the factory the guys on the assembly line put gas in a diesel and it was started the truck was sent to heavy repair for an engine change.

If gas in a diesel didn't hurt anything we sure would not have changed them in heavy repair, hell it takes 10 plus hours to change one and this is at the factory.

This doesn't happen very often, but it does happen, we built over 500 trucks per 8 hour shift, and the plant I worked in ran 3 shifts so that's over 1500 trucks per 24 hour period, and maybe only one truck per month would have this happen, If the gas was put in at the factory your engine would already have been changed before it left the plant, and the dealer would have no way of knowing this.

If it were me I'd pass on this truck.Edited by: John R

·
Registered
687 Posts
John knows his stuff!!! It's good to have the experience base here that he brings...

I am writing this from the Fort Wayne Assembly plant while I am watching trucks roll off the end of the line at 60+ jobs per hour. What a thrill seeing them ready to go out to the end customer... Too bad this is a light duty only plant...

·
Registered
687 Posts
I cant believe that the dealer TOLD you what it was. If they were smart (slick) they would have just told you it was a fuel pump wire or something simple. Then drain the tank and off you go! After all, you won't be driving 400 miles back to THEIR shop for warranty.

REFUSE this truck, and FORCE them to FIND you another comparable truck. If not....ask one of the above factory guys for a phone number to someone who CAN find you a comparable truck right away.

Boy, this is like a snowball running down a mountain.

I can FEEL your pain.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for everyone's feedback on this, I did tell them today they could keep it. The manager kept trying to convience me it was fine, and he kept saying how he use to mix gas in his diesels in the old days..like thats really going to convience me to keep it, so finally he said he would "undue" the deal if I wanted...my reply...HELL YES! So I guess Im back to square one now. I have a lift, wheels/tires, waiting to be put on something, It just sucks I have to wait for another one to come in. By the way he didn't offer to order me another one or look at one on the lot or anything. So I guess I'll take my business elsewhere, which is probably better b/c I think the mechanic doing the PDI on it is the one who made the mistake. That tells you alot right there!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I belive you made the right decision, at least the dealer told ou the truth about the problem, he deserves a thumbs up
for that part.

Corsair

·
Registered
126 Posts
You made the right move. NOW Try to locate one Edited by: Leatherman

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Trust me, those techs (or part replacers) don't always take the PDI seriously. Remember, they drive a new vehicle every day. We don't. Case in point, my '01 2500HD. It comes in to the dealer, tech PDI's the truck. Everything is fine (or so I'm led to think). I sign the paperwork. The damn thing makes a loud (clunk) every time I shift. I talk to another tech, and he says that they probably didn't put the bolts in the transfer case. he's right, the transfer case isn't bolted down, just flapping in the breeze. Should that have been cought on the PDI/test drive? Hell yes. On a truck that's worth over 30,000, you would sure think so. The sad part is that I was working at that dealership at that time. Just makes you realize that some people just don't give a damn about the consumer, are they're more worried about "making time" on everything they touch. I realize that all techs are not like this. but dammit, there's no excuse for blatant ignorance.

·
Registered
570 Posts
9W3-HD.

You made the right choice. Hope you find a truck for that lift, it will all be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
I feel sorry for the guy that buys that truck. Notify EVERYONE so they cant sell it to the next poor dumb bas*ard.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts