Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the most mileage that any of you have been able to get unloaded under normal conditions? Just curious. I think I did real well on my last trip and the motor is still not really broken in yet, truck only has about 2K miles on it now. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I do the same trip every 2 weeks. With summer fuel and when unloaded I'm able to do the whole 875km one way trip with one tank plus a few km around town. I use a cetane booster aditive. I have the 130 liters tank (longbed).

When loaded 12-15,000# I often get 35-40% less mileage but never worse than 50%.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
winter fuel , and did a non stop trip, 525 miles on a short box, put in 96 liters

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Most miles to date:

476 miles on 23.7 gallons fill up was July 21. 2003 the truck had 11188 miles on the clock at the time of the fill. Average MPH was 43.3

Best miles per gallon to date:

265 miles on 11.9 gallons fill up was August 21, 2003 the truck had 11738 miles on the clock. Average MPH was 48.3. I was trying to max the milage so I feather footed a round trip to my forest land, mostly highway and unloaded.

Cheers!

John Bud

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 378pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=504 border=0 x:str>
<COLGROUP>
<COL style="WIDTH: 53pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2596" width=71>
<COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" width=64>
<COL style="WIDTH: 54pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2633" width=72>
<COL style="WIDTH: 47pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2304" width=63>
<COL style="WIDTH: 42pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2048" width=56>
<COL style="WIDTH: 38pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1828" width=50>
<T>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17>
<TD class=xl23 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 53pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=71 height=17 x:num="37823"></TD>
<TD class=xl22 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=64 x:num></TD>
<TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 54pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=72 x:num></TD>
<TD class=xl22 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=64 x:num></TD>
<TD class=xl22 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 47pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=63></TD>
<TD class=xl22 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 42pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=56></TD>
<TD class=xl22 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 38pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=50></TD>
<TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=64 x:num="20.08438818565401"></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
958 Posts
Best I've hit was 700 miles on a tank, with stock rubber 80% highway cruising at 60-65mph. My last tank went 530 miles for around town with about 5 gallons left in the tank.

·
Registered
405 Posts
415, 26 gallon tank.... city/highway miles

·
Registered
747 Posts
537.6 miles, used 32 gallons. 16.8 mpg, truck had just under 1200 miles on it when the trip started, all of these miles were hwy/interstate. This is the only time I have let it run that low.
It was on the day before Thanksgiving from Russellville KY on trip to Fort Valley GA. Don't know if it was winter fuel or not, but I suspect it was.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got 1100km on one tank.Works out to about 24.5mpg Canadian of coarse.I have also found you can go about 80km after the low fuel light comes on.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I thought so too westcoaster, until one time I ran out of fuel before the light even came on.. Remember it's just as easy to run on the top half of the tank.

·
Banned
394 Posts
405 miles is the most ever..short box 26.3 gal to fill up

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I've gone maximum of 502 (24.5 gals and 20.3 mpg) on my short box OEM tank. I've also gone 665 (32 gals and 20.9 mpg) on my in-bed aux tank

·
Registered
754 Posts
Got over 800 miles while pulling a 10K 5th wheel. Not too shabby.

Mike

Oh, did I mention I have a 50Gal Transferflow in addition to my 26main?
Edited by: VFRRider

·
Registered
414 Posts
Why o why don't these trucks come stock with 34 or 44 gallon tanks. I would like one of those larger tanks, but at $800-1000, I'll pass on that...

Tim

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
750...Ooops, thats with the TDI, at about 85 mph.

She nets about 47 mpg doing that.

Truck: about half that...

·
Registered
958 Posts
Tim, longboxes come with a 34 gallon tank.. Love mine.

·
Registered
514 Posts
westcoaster said:
I got 1100km on one tank.Works out to about 24.5mpg Canadian of coarse.I have also found you can go about 80km after the low fuel light comes on.

Keep in mind that fuel is used to cool the FICM and when the fuel level gets low the temp of the fuel used for cooling actually goes up as there's less cool fuel in the tank to mix with.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Hound said:
Keep in mind that fuel is used to cool the FICM and when the fuel level gets low the temp of the fuel used for cooling actually goes up as there's less cool fuel in the tank to mix with.

All true, Hound, however, the return fuel is still going through the fuel cooler before returning to the tank. As long as the system is recirculating, cooling is going on in the fuel cooler.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hound:I realize about the cooling.I don't make a regular habit on running out of fuel or going extremely low,I just wanted to find out how much reserve ihad after the light came on as the owners man. didn,t say.Now I know if caught out in the bush etc. due to unforseen circumstances how far I can go.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Idle_Chatter, yes it is still circulating thru the fuel cooler, but the cooler isn't large enough to remove all the heat and with less and less fuel in the tank the temp can continue to increase as you have less time for the fuel to cool before being returned to the pump and rail. The higher the pressure applied by the pump the more temp will increase on the substance being compressed. With less and less fuel in the tank the warm fuel will be picked up sooner and have less mixing with cooled fuel, hence the temp when it goes to the FICM will be higher than it would if one had 13 gal in the tank to mix with whatever is being returned via the cooler. (On edit) I would really expect that the FICM wouldn't be damaged in this way anyways, as I would guess you'd run out of fuel before the heat generation vs dissipation caused any damage.

Westcoaster, Yep, getting caught in the boonies without having any idea of how far you still have could be a very BAD thing.
Edited by: Hound

1 - 20 of 31 Posts