Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help:

Driving home from work tonight and all of a sudden the truck looses all power and the engine sounds like an old diesel engine (like a VW rabbit). It felt like I let my foot off the pedal, it just was not going to hold the speed. Was able to coast over to the shoulder of the freeway. When I tried to move forward just to see how bad the truck was affected, I could barely get the truck in motion. I pulled the BS (that extension is a life saver) and removed the juice/attitude. I hear the turbo spool up when I hit the throttle, but the engine sounds and feels like it is not running on all cylinders especially with the lack of power.

My thinking is bad injectors. Truck will be towed to the dealer in the morning. Wondering if other members have seen the same symptoms and what the problem was in the end so I know what to expect from the dealer.

Thank goodness the truck it still under warranty. By the way, the tow truck driver made a point to say that my problem was I was driving a GM product with a Duramax Diesel engine, what a looser. Real nice guy.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Judging from the time of your post, I'd say it was just tired and sleepy.

·
Registered
626 Posts
How many miles, and did you check the fuel filter?

·
Registered
114 Posts
That is what mine did. It could barely untrack, sounded like it was going to rattle apart? Injector failure in mine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Judging from the time of your post, I'd say it was just tired and sleepy.
I think that could be the case.. I know I was.

Medalhead - The truck has 25k on it, the filter has 10k. I had 175miles on that tank of fuel.

TxChristopher - I thought the same thing at first, but there was no other indication like a "water in fuel light" that I would have expected.

Here is the best part... When the tow truck driver dropped it off this morning at the dealer, the service writer asked if it was drivable. I told him that lastnight I had for floor it to get it upto 5 MPH when trying to move the truck. So he started it up and it sounded normal. He puts it in gear and it idles upto 5 MPH like it always does so he moves it to the service lane to write it up. After he gets out I am like WTF? So I start the truck up again and it runs normal for about 30 seconds then starts rattling like lastnight.

And while it was in for this, I told the service writer that the truck "barks" under heavy acceleration/loads. He said they have a new update to fix that.....):h

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Had the same problem with edge products installed. Pilot injection had shut off and it was really loud. 3 edge boxes later same crap. I finally sold it to a guy on this forum and bought a programmer. No problems since.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Chevy has had a problem with the #7 and #2 injector wires breaking just above the injector. Had it happen and the symptoms you describe are it. There is a update with a replacement wire for both injectors and a wire support.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah, what hot water said. Same exact symptoms on mine. When the dealer scans your truck he'll come up with #2 or #7 injector bad, but it's actually a bad/broken connector on the wiring harness from too much strain on it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah what ovrxpsd said, here is the TSB

Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On with Reduction in Engine Power, DTCs P0202 and P2149 or P0207 and P2146 Set (Install Revised 90 Degree Injector Connector with Harness Support Bracket Service Kit) #05-06-04-047A - (Sep 2, 2005)

·
Registered
23 Posts
same problem on mine #2 and #7--Replaced injector conectors on 2 and 7

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yikes! I don't want the truck to crap out on my in the middle of nowhere; is there some preventative measure I can take to protect those injector connectors before I have a problem?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yikes! I don't want the truck to crap out on my in the middle of nowhere; is there some preventative measure I can take to protect those injector connectors before I have a problem?
Take it to the dealer and tell them to fix the TSB issue.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all for your input. I just got off the phone with the dealer. They told me it was the connector for the #2 and #7 injectors. I get my truck back tonight. Anyone that has not got this TSB fixed, should do it.

By the way, while it was there I got them to apply the turbo burp fix. I will install the boost stick again this weekend and see how well it resolves the issue.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you change the fuel filter and bump the # 7 injector wire it will damage it. Get the update

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Take it to the dealer and tell them to fix the TSB issue.
Guess I'd better get mine in for the fix and reflashes... What dealer did you take yours to?

·
Registered
758 Posts
how common of a problem is this? if i go to the dealer will they replace it? i am thinking they will only do it if its broke.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just had the same thing - 70 MPH then no power and barely 5 mph. The dealership said that the injector wiring harness was bad. QUESTION!!! was the strain and wire breakage on #2 and #7 caused at all by the Edge Juice Attitude that I also have - or is this farther away from where the edge plugs-in and unaffected?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts