Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after torture testing my 85 cucv... the drag link broke. Its not hard to fix. Nor that expensive. So not a big deal. But im trying to come up with ideas on fixing the obvious design flaw. The only thing I can come up with is bringing the linkage up and over the leaf springs? Anyone have any thoughts? @Bigboytoys where be you sir?!

On another note. It performed very well overall. Went over some large logs... got stuck and unstuck a few times. Mostly intentional. Lol. And alcohol may have been involved (we were on private property. Not a public road. Before someone decides to grill me on it) anyway I had a blast.

But the drag link broke because I started to run some decent size trees over. Maybe about 4-6in in diameter. Nothing huge. Now my 94 cucv runs down trees like a champ (of the same size) but the 94 has the linkage tucked in much better + a skid plate protecting all that jazz in that area.

Anyway was just curious if anyone had any suggestions on a design change/fix. Or something people already do that im unaware of... again the only idea I keep coming back to is bringing the linkage over the springs? And maybe come up with a skid plate of sorts?
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
103 Posts
High steer /crossover steering kit.
Ord makes a kit, skys makes one also.
Quite a few options out there.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Yup, you can run high steer for this. Honestly, not sure I've ever seen one break like that. Personally I'd probably get a new HD tierod setup from ORD and just send it.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Honestly, not sure I've ever seen one break like that. Personally I'd probably get a new HD tierod setup from ORD and just send it."

😆 well... I was running trees over for the fun of it. Like I said... torture testing....and it passed like a champ for the 99%. Just need to solve this one. And im gonna check out ord HD high steer and likely go with that.

After looking I see a difference. Which is better? Stronger? High steer or crossover? Anyone know the pros and cons?

I'm aiming to make this steering issue bulletproof because everything else definitely is. I really pushed it hard that day.

Also... hey okdually! Saw you liked the previous posters reply. Doin ok bud? 👍

·
Administrator
20,774 Posts
Reactions: jnlperformance

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's good to see you on the forum! (y)
I've been around. Just been busy tinkering with my new "toys" getting things up and running. The mill has turned out fantastic im gonna be putting on my 4th and 5th axis soon. Test it out. Maybe make a compressor wheel for a test part or something? But otherwise I lurk here and there on here. Id keep answering posts but I dont have the time right now otherwise you'd see me here more often. I'm gonna be coming out with a slew of goodies for our 6.x platforms here very soon 😁👍 gonna be some good stuff. I think members here will like what im up to. Lol. I'm likely gonna pay the fee and run an experiment for a month or so and be a vendor. I'm undecided. I have a marketing director that wants me to start getting on social media more often. So I guess I'm gonna get my website done and up... start a yt channel... all that stuff. Bleh. I guess I better listen huh?

·
Administrator
20,774 Posts
I've been around. Just been busy tinkering with my new "toys" getting things up and running. The mill has turned out fantastic im gonna be putting on my 4th and 5th axis soon. Test it out. Maybe make a compressor wheel for a test part or something? But otherwise I lurk here and there on here. Id keep answering posts but I dont have the time right now otherwise you'd see me here more often. I'm gonna be coming out with a slew of goodies for our 6.x platforms here very soon 😁👍 gonna be some good stuff. I think members here will like what im up to. Lol. I'm likely gonna pay the fee and run an experiment for a month or so and be a vendor. I'm undecided. I have a marketing director that wants me to start getting on social media more often. So I guess I'm gonna get my website done and up... start a yt channel... all that stuff. Bleh. I guess I better listen huh?
That's great!

The vendor signup process has been automated and you can now sign up easily by clicking on the "Business" link at the bottom of the screen then, just follow the prompts to get you set up,.
(y)

·
Registered
103 Posts
"Honestly, not sure I've ever seen one break like that. Personally I'd probably get a new HD tierod setup from ORD and just send it."

😆 well... I was running trees over for the fun of it. Like I said... torture testing....and it passed like a champ for the 99%. Just need to solve this one. And im gonna check out ord HD high steer and likely go with that.

After looking I see a difference. Which is better? Stronger? High steer or crossover? Anyone know the pros and cons?

I'm aiming to make this steering issue bulletproof because everything else definitely is. I really pushed it hard that day.

Also... hey okdually! Saw you liked the previous posters reply. Doin ok bud? 👍

Usually you run em both. A crossover and a high steer would really be the best idea.
It gets all the steering above the axle to protect it from trees… while…. Running them over…

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
So crossover and high steer are two different things. Crossover takes the steering from the stock front/back "push-pull" style to a side to side push-pull. The thought here is the longer tierod makes for a lower angle change as the wheels move up and down causing less bumpsteer and a couple other things.

High steer is usually done to a rig with crossover steering and moves the tierod above the springs. On a D44/10bolt this is a bit of work to do as you need flap top nuckles on both sides, not just one.

For ease, and if you hit less trees lol!, I would just replace the current tierod with an ORD HD one and leave the factory steering and link position. If you think it really might be an issue again you can go down expensive road. Be ready to probably be out $1000+ by the time you're done if you use newish parts (steering box, knuckles, balljoints, tierods, steering arms, etc).

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have always been told to avoid Y links. Could be the mentality that the crew I wheeled with had.
But as a result I don’t run them. Could be ok for a payment pounder.

With these kits tho you need a flat top knuckle on the pass side and it’ll need to be machined. Either source one or if you’re lucky yours already has one. But I’d be willing to bet against it.
There are complete sets of aftermarket knuckles and I’d almost recommend that.
I ordered a few junk ones in my day and didn’t notice til later.

Edit.
You’ll also be needing to relocate your steering stabilizer if you plan on running it.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I dont know much about the ruffstuff kit, but Eskimo is correct, you have to get a passenger flat top knuckle and have it machined, or buy one from Reid Racing and plop it on. If it was me, I would probably just get one of these and skip everything else. Leave the stock steering and all that jazz and just beef up the tierod.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With these kits tho you need a flat top knuckle on the pass side and it’ll need to be machined. Either source one or if you’re lucky yours already has one. But I’d be willing to bet against it.

You’ll also be needing to relocate your steering stabilizer if you plan on running it.
Machining shouldn't be an issue 😏

Know where I could find the specs on the knuckle or a pic? Same for the steering stabilizer relocation?

Sorry for all the silly questions im just trying to get a complete picture of what im doing before I do it.

Oh and thanks for the link. I'm not wanting to skimp on this because the vehicle did very well except for this. I know if I just put it back or make a beefier link... itll still break under the same conditions as before. My goal is to fix the issue so it has less of a chance of failure under the same conditions that broke it initially. 👍

Thanks guys.
Fixture Gas Machine Major appliance Transparency

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont know much about the ruffstuff kit, but Eskimo is correct, you have to get a passenger flat top knuckle and have it machined, or buy one from Reid Racing and plop it on. If it was me, I would probably just get one of these and skip everything else. Leave the stock steering and all that jazz and just beef up the tierod.

Machining should be an issue... unless its not really cost effective either by time or materials.

Got a link to that reid racing knuckle? I'd like to see how much it is. May be worth buying vs modding mine. 🤷

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Possibly. I just pulled something from Reid for reference 🤷‍♂️ There's a few different options.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oooooh, and old Fadal!
Lol you should've seen it when I bought it! Was a mess. My lathe "upgrade" is even older. The fadal is made in the same year as my 2500 cucv2. 94. The lathe is an American 14x54 from 1973. The pinnacle of beef. Lol. But you can't knock it for a manual lathe. 8400lbs.

Its been alot of work... lots of work... but its been WELL worth it!!! Some pics of the mill during the resto process. The bed and saddle eventually came off after that to replace the ballscrews and rails. Replaced most of the linear components. Its down to the 4th dec place of play now. :) .0003 now. Yay.

As for the knuckles. I just want the beefier option. But thanks for all the input gents! I'll eventually get around to fixing it. Gonna call ord and get the skinny on what all i need. Make sure I do it right the 1st time around cause I dont wanna do it again for sure!!!

Motor vehicle Gas Office equipment Wood Machine

Water Architecture Wood Freezing Wall

Wood Material property Composite material Gas Rectangle

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Nice! Both of those are solid! I envy that backlash. I have an old Lagun that needs a go through. Let's not talk about the amount of backlash that thing has.... It's a bit tired, but still makes chips!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts