Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is 1/4" higher on the drivers side than the passenger side. I recently got my truck aligned and the difference in height just bugs me. If i crank my torsion bar down on the driver side to where both sides are even, will that mess up my alignment?

Thanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
i cranked mine 6 on the drivers and 5 on the passenger..havent done anything for alignment...i just wanted to level it out a bit..may go a bit higher then i may see into doing an alignment

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
tmhovis;1591845; said:
My truck is 1/4" higher on the drivers side than the passenger side. I recently got my truck aligned and the difference in height just bugs me. If i crank my torsion bar down on the driver side to where both sides are even, will that mess up my alignment?

Thanks!
Remember that with you in the truck and a full tank of fuel there is a lot more weight on the drivers side.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that is true WanaDmxsub, but if I were to take it down a quarter of an inch, do you think it would it alter my alignment?

·
Registered
923 Posts
I think a 1/4 " is enough to through the alignment off but I can't say how much.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sometimes the slightest change will wearout the tires prematurely....

Years ago I had a mini truck which was made by Mitsu and sold as a Dodge Ram 50. For some reason the Dodge wasnt listed in the alignment book but the Mitsu was so the shop used Mitsu specs and it wore out my tires in 5000 miles.

The specs were a hair different and the trucks were essentially the same but it sure made a difference...

For $50 its worth the alignment....

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would like to hear from someone here who has had their tbars cranked for a while and had no alignment done. Howd the tires wear? 1 inch, 2 inch...how much lift vs type of wear. Consider that mud treads always wear out faster than a.t./highway tread and 285s on stock rims also wear badly down the center so knowing the type tire would also be helpful. I fear that to simply take it in for an alignment that a shop would look up the stock settings and where would you be? Would stock settings bring every thing back to where it needs to be or should custom specs be used for any altering of height. Sure would like to know, the dang rubber is too high to just wait and see.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I cranked the bars on my 02 about 1.5". No alignment was done. The new 265 Revos on the truck lasted 50k with zero abnormal wear. I drive 25k/yr and am pretty in tune with my trucks and I noticed no ill effects of cranked bars. With 5100s the ride is much more controlled than stock and handling is much crisper IMO.

·
Registered
39 Posts
1/4 inch, no problem

I can tell you I have had several torsion bar trucks, and moving them less than 1 inch never affected the tire wear or alignment. You might move both just a little instead of just moving one, but either way it shouldn't hurt.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Good to have an alignment checked periodically anyway...waiting to see tire wear to tell you somethings wrong sorta an expensive option considering a cheap 16" tire runs $150 each. By the time you see something, its probably done a number on the tires. I'd do it for what, $39-$69.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i had mine cranked about 3/4 of the way for some clearance on 285's had it aligned then here recently put 305's and needed a little more clearance so i cranked them all the way didn't get it aligned...now i'm seeing some bad premature wear on my drivers side, so it seems from 3/4 too full there is some difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts