Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for comments/recommendations.

I took my truck to the dealer for the left rear sagging. The instructed me that my left torsion bar was out 1 1/4 inch causing my left rear to sag. They addjusted the torsion bar and aligned the front end, problem fixed.

Two concerns, first I am still arguing that I paid $86 for the work because torsion bars/alighnment/barakes/etc... not much warrantee, I am at 13, 388 miles. Second is I look at the dealerships work and my left torsion bar is maxed out in its addjustment, the right one is about in its center, or has about 6-7 bolt threads showing.

Anyone have any Ideas of what is wrong with this picture?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I read somewhere that the factory adjusts the torsion bars to put equal load on each wheel (side-to-side), thus the apparent "lean." I also asked my dealer to look at this when I had the vehicle in for other warranty work (seems like I've been there a lot lately!). Anyway, the receipt said adjusted torsion bars. But, the truck looks no different to me - still leans. I'm guessing that one side of the truck is heavier than the other and that the torsion bars have the same stiffness. As a result, the vehicle will just lean. Or, it could just be an installation issue. I'd like to hear more on this. I've just learned to live with the lean. Perhaps I should be pickier - it does make one of the weight distribution bars on my travel trailer tighter than the other.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
It's not unusual to have those bolts at drastically different settings. It all has to do with parts tolerancing and T-bar consistancies.

As far as paying for the adjustment, I doubt it falls under warranty but with such low miles you could argue it as "should have been adjusted before delivery".

·
Registered
197 Posts
I noticed, though, that the Helm's manual states the adjustment tolerances in terms of a Z-height measurement. This is a measurement between the pivot-bolt centerline and the bottom of the a-arm - it does not look very easy to measure by any means! Anyway, I wonder if the dealer is checking this tolerance when they level the truck or are they just adjusting based on the height of the fender from the ground, which may or may not make this Z-height accetable.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
If you want the truck to drive properly level the front. The first thing a good alignment tech should do is check the pressure in all four tires and adjust the torsion bars. Been there and used to do that. Torsion bars have been around as long as I can remember. Later! Frank

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I guess I complained enough. I did recieve my money back for the work performed seeing that the dealer and I came to the conclusion it was more than likely improperly set prior to dilevery.

Can I now assume that there is nothing wrong with my torsion bar system even though the truck is level left to right and tire pressure is equal left to right, although the left torsion bar is still adjusted to its maximum (no treads showing on the bolt) and the right torsion bar has seven to eight treads showing?

Thanks for all your inputs!

·
Registered
747 Posts
The left TB will probably require a little more adjustment due to the extra weight on that side(fuel). But, all the way up seems a little extreme. I turned both of my bars three turns and the truck is fairly level. There is 3 or 4 less threads left over on the left bar than on the right, but I still have quite a few turns left on either side if I wanted to go higher. Is your truck a LB or SB? If it is a SB, maybe that is the difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts