Diesel Place banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,164 Posts
The 10.9 is the stronger bolt of the two but I can dig up some GM main bolts here if you need some.8.8 bolts would probably make me nervous on the bottom end.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You guys, I thought the bolts were marked "GM" but after actually cleaning them it turns out they are marked "11.9" which is actually an obscure metric hardness between 10.9 and 12.9 (us between grade 8 and 10).

The guy at fastenal (who actually seemed pretty knowledgeable) had never even heard of it.

Nobody makes flange head bolts in .etric grade 12.9 and you can hardly find any bolts in 11.9, period.

The fastenal guy said they had 12.9 hardness m12x1.75 threaded rod in 3 foot lengths for 200 dollars a rod (I would need two). I would also need 12.9 nuts and washers (I assume minimal expense).

I found a company who sells a rod and nut and washer set for the 6.2/6.5 for about 400 bucks. I guess that's realistically my only choice if I don't want to re use bolts that appear to be crack-prone. (Maybe even from the factory?)

So wow that's a bit of bad news as the stud kit is pretty expensive and I am on a budget.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
I think I found bolts for about 4$ each at wholesale gm parts ... can’t confirm figment though.

the others your looking at are probably arp main studs, yes, expensive

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
ARP is the premo stuff and probably beyond 11.9.

take a look at this link but no guarantee it’s correct,I’ll try and confirm later

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thank you for that link I am debating getting those, but what do I do about the cracked outer ones? Buy an 80mm long grade 12.9 and cut the end with a hacksaw so I don't mess with the heat treating, and use a washer under it? I'd be fine with that if it worked...

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,743 Posts
Delete, wrong info

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,743 Posts
That's for the heads... I wonder why the main bearing caps are so much more?
Whoops, I don't even see main studs from ARP for the 6.2, where are you seeing them?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Guys apparently arp had nothing to do with the head bolt kits you see for sale and there have been issues with them because the studs aren't long enough and they strip out.

We can't find the lower bearing bolts online but sctrailrider is able to get them direct from the manufacturer for about 200 bucks. Also, they are torque to yield and single use bolts which may be why mine cracked, I did re use them once to check the bearings.

So if you need the bearing bolts please send sctrailrider a pm he's been awesome getting me the custom bearings and bolts!

Looking forward to getting the truck back on the road!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts