Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After replacing my oil lines, I've picked up a half dollar sized drip spot on the truck. The U-joint is wet and I've got some oil accumulation on the big nut on the filter adapter.

I'm going to wipe it all down and then let it idle for a while to see if I can isolate the source better sitting still so the wind isn't blowing everything around and the driveshaft isn't flinging oil everywhere.

Anyway, anyone know what the torque setting is on the filter adapter? I suspect that the copper crimp seal outside the shroud is probably needing another good torquing.

·
Registered
935 Posts
There are some rubber O rings in the adapter assy. Not sure how many, haven't been there yet. I know SS Diesel sells the O ring set for it though.
Ted

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
47ftlbs, and the late o'rings are orange silicone, which do not heat-harden

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd bet I'm not at 47 ft/lbs.

Hey what's the fitment on those brass block adapters. The block isn't machined so it's not like the seal occurs at the block and face of the brass fitting head. It doesn't look tapered. How do you really know when you're done wrenching?

New gaskets: two black rubber on the bolt inside the assembly and one big one to seal the assembly adapter to the block; one copper compression seal outside the assembly.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
No seal on the adapters, so the threads must be tapered - I'd use thread-locker

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GMCTD,

They came with a coating of Loctite "red" on 'em. All I'm getting at is that I didn't run 'em all the way to "bottomed" against the block but they seemed to have sealed. I think it's the filter adapter that's weeping but I'll know Tuesday when I can get on the lift. At least I'm not facing the mechanical failure of a line dropping off the Gates crimp.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Take the 3/4" wrench and test each for fitup - they should not be loose due to the thread-locker and the normal npt make-up.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On install, I ran 'em down until I felt a gentle creep in resistance as opposed to the exponential resistance on a nut/bolt combo when it bottoms and starts to tension the bolt. There's still just a bit of thread showing. I checked 'em again before installing the filter adapter and they carried a bit more resistance than before.

Is that what you're talking about?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Yes, and the locker should set-up with heat, sealing the threads.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
I agree - good job, Maj..............

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looked like the oil lines were dry and the filter adapter was still wet. Torqued it to 47 ft/lbs - took almost a full turn to do it. I'm surprised it was doing as good a job as it did keeping the oil in. I guess that copper crush seal relaxed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts