Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what wire and maybe post a picture of which one it is to get a tq reading. I'm going to get my truck to the dyno again soon and they don't have a optical pickup. Eric at Merchant said it was a white wire under the fuse box but there were several white wires. I gave up looking after 10 minutes or so because I was holding up the dyno. I'm hoping someone has a picture or pin number for the wire. Also how big is the wire I'm looking for? The only wires I saw were in the big wire looms and very small. Thanks ! PS it's a dyno jet 248 if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I would like to know this as well. There is an RPM signal wire that comes from the ECM the wire is white and comes from pin 55 on the ECM, could this be the wire needed.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
I use the tach signal wire from the ECM. I pick it up under the electrical center. This wire produces a pulse signal that the Superflow can "count" and is dead accurate. I'm not sure if other dyno's can count this though. You'll probablty need to use an optic pickup.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
can you explain how to use an optic pickup ie where and how to hook up? I have never seen one is this something all dyno's should have or is this diesel specific?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shop with the dyno is the only place remotely close for doing the dyno runs. They do gas powered race cars and the optical pickup will cost them $450 to buy. If they had a good deal of diesel businees he would buy it. But since I'm the only one showing intrest with a diesel he won't spend $450 for a $60 return. Will you direct me on the white wire as to where I might locate it in the truck (06 LBZ). I would appreciate the help. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I would get it from under the hood, if you choose to go this route it is located on the driver side front portion of the engine bay. look at the underhood fuse box, there is a large bundle of wires coming out and down to the engine computer. the easiest way I can tell you to get the wire you need is while you are at home take the wire harness connector off the ECM and locate pin number 55 they should be labeled with numbers, when you find pin 55 it should be white take that wire and follow it up a little ways untill you can get some slack and label that wire with some tape or zip tie. reconnect your harness to the ecm and go to the dyno. Now all you have to do is tell the dyno operator where to get the rpm signal. hope this helps

·
Registered
150 Posts
The optical pickup sits under the crank and counts the crank rotations based on a piece of reflective tape the shop installs on the balancer.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
aahhh thanks. thats sticy tape,hehe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.