Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I bought some stage 3 Jammers off ebay, now I need to get a torque converter to handle them. I would like to stay in the $600 to $800 range and get the best I can get that will handle the extra 100hp injectors and 120 horse comp, maybe 600-800 is not even close, I dont know, that is why I am asking you guys, you guys can always help out. I heard to a converter call triple-lock, ATS or something like that. Just please give me some insight and place to get them if possible. Thanks much

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
converter

Right not I am looking at the BD converter offered by jegs, is shows 400HP -up, the model is 151-1070215LX it is the x stator converter, and looks likt its about 1425 including 300 core, so about 1125, anybody have experience with BD converters? or should I go with an ATS converter?
Please help​

·
Registered
174 Posts
ATS, BD, or Suncoast would all be good choices. I am looking at ATS for a torque converter (TC) and valve body (VB). The VB would also be a good idea when you replace the TC as the aftermarket VB and TC are designed to work together, and the factory VB will not be as sufficient. I had thought only of replacing the TC, but after talking to a lot of guys at cumminsforum.com and at Scheid diesel down the road from me, I was swayed in the direction of replacing both. You will have about $2k invested that way...and labor is a little more, unless you plan to do it yourself.

·
Registered
575 Posts
You are going to need a lot more than a TC to hold the level of Hp your at.You need a full trans,or to have yours built.At the very min you need some 3rd gear work,or you'll smoke it with just a triple disc tc.You need a shift kit or a valve body,and a good tc. You should have a billet input shaft,and 3rd drum to do the job right,so it lasts a long time. I recommend DTT,they have the know how with Dodges.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tc

Ok i am actually getting 80hp injectors now, I have a different valve body in my truck now that a guy I work with (I work at a chrysler shop) actually "made" if you will, he used different combinations of valves and plates and whatever, he is an expert tranny guy, he had it in his cummins but took it out because he didnt like how hard and solid it shifted, which is what I need, so I should be good there right? Every gear shifts hard and solid, no slipping, and even with the weak torque converter, when it locks, it locks hard and fast, and does not "slide in", which my old valve body did, it locks up much quicker. So I dont think I need a valve body. I am not going to be driving on level 5, only when I race once in a while and to see some smoke once in a while. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
575 Posts
The vb work helps a lot,and it may be enough,BUT mixing and matching is to be done at your own risk.It would also be nice to know what your pressures are,since the pressures at and near full throttle,and in lockup are what helps hold your clutches from slipping.I stil lthink your setup is ging to fail early if you just get a tc,but it may hold you for a while,depending on how you drive.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You might want to also look into a pressure loc from BD, since your going to be on level 5 every once in a while, it will keep the line pressure high at low throttle. Your tranny might last if your nice to it and keep up the maintenance, but I'm willing to bet that you'll have it in level 5 more and more as time goes on.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The pressure loc is a waste of money,IMO.If your valve body is built right,and the trans is healthy and built righti t isnt needed. I do agree it is a good band aid for a stock trans,but it is so expensive that it is hardly worth buying,might as well do the VB with what it costs and takes to install.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
trans

I have about 120K on (i think) my stock trans, with my good valve body, every gear shifts good and firm, should I still get a heavy duty clutch kit and rebuild it? I would rather not have to hassle with it, but if it is needed, i guess ill have to. What you think?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts