Diesel Place banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently had my tranny upgraded to a suncoast level 4. Mike L worked his magic and I was happy. When I got home 800 miles later, I started really playing and noticed my torque converter would not stay locked above 80mph. I can duplicate this situation at will in any power level from completely stock to ppe hot. This is how it goes. The 1-2 shift is great. The 2-3 shift is great. Once in third gear, the torque converter goes crazy. It locks and unlocks repeatedly. Then it shifts into fourth and it is a repeat of third. Once in fifth it will stay locked until about 80 mph. Once above 80, it jumps back and forth between locked and unlocked. It seems to be more rpm related than speed related. Pretty much anything above 2400 rpm's. A tech 2 can command it locked and it will stay locked. Mike suggested the input speed sensor. The tech 2 did not really see anything out of wack. I ordered a new input speed sensor, and the dealer ordered the wrong one. I am just frustated as I finally have a built tranny but still cannot play. Any suggestion on how to tackle this problem would be appreciated. Now, just so nobody gets the wrong idea, Mike L has been great in helping me with this. I do not believe this problem was caused by any work done at his shop. So lets be civil.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I would listen to Mike L. then, I think he knows his stuff real well and will be there to trouble shoot it for you. He has a real good reputation around here, and I don't see him turning and running on you, unless there is a ewe around...................

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It doesn't matter if it is in tow/haul or not. The symptoms remain the same. I will be sure to keep the sheep away so I can keep Mike focused on the issues....):h

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Verlon
When will you have the speed sensor installed? This sort of sounds like a dimple problem on the converter pump lid but, from my experience they will act up right away and the Tech 2 will not keep it locked because of no input signal. Souns more like wiring. I am working on it
mike

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope to have a new sensor in on monday. I will keep you posted on how that goes. The one they sold me seems to be a little different. Looks the same, but has different numbers on it. I put it in anyway to try it, and the problem became more pronounced. If they get me the correct one I am hopeful it will resolve the issue.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
i have a buddy that had a bent flex plate and that kept the converter from locking up all the time. it would move the converter to far away from the sensor and unlock it. you might check that as well

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. Did a little more testing today. Pulled gear shift down into 1 tow haul on, overdrive locked out. Accelerated through each gear. 1st gear no problems, but torque converter never locked up. 2nd gear at 2500 rpm's torque converter starts locking and unlocking. 3rd gear same thing. 4th gear same thing. 5th gear same thing. I am really leaning towards the sensor at the moment. I called the dealer about the input speed sensor and they said after further review, they sold me an output speed sensor and there was not an input speed sensor. Told them to check with the tech and came back and said there was one and they would get it ordered. I won't get it in until monday night. I don't think it is the flex plate. we inspected it before putting everything back together. I watched the entire install and nothing looked wrong.

·
Vendor
9,677 Posts
No DTC's?

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It has never thrown any codes. I have also discovered that yes, the input and output sensors are the same. I talked more with Mike today and after further review, we believe it is a bad dimple on the torque converter. I'm going to work over my spare input sensor to see if I can get it seated a little lower in the housing. The theory is that might allow it to pick up on the bad dimple. Anyway, Mike is taking good care of me. The input sensor is just a little experiment.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Talked to Verlon tonight and got more info. Seems converter does not go past 60 percent apply after 2500 rpm. He is going to do some tests that we discussed and then bring in his truck for a converter replacement. I believe we have dimple problems.
mike

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It has been suggested that this could be as simple a a plugged filter. If so, what filter would this be. The spin on, or the internal one? Would a plugged filter cause the issue I am having as consistently and at the same rpm each and every time?

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
It has been suggested that this could be as simple a a plugged filter. If so, what filter would this be. The spin on, or the internal one? Would a plugged filter cause the issue I am having as consistently and at the same rpm each and every time?
No way. Plugged spin on will will throw trim solenoid codes like crazy among other codes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts