Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems at the higher levels with the Juice (90 hp) that if you try to give it anything past half throttle and it makes more noise than acceleration. Is this to much torque for the TC, I'm sure I'm not slipping the tranny. What's the cure?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I donot know what your problem may be, but an easy test would be to try the same acceleration test with the TCC disengaged. Then do it again with TCC locked up. If there is no difference then I would assume the TC is not the problem.

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
Topgas

at 90hp, you are pushing the limits of the TC. The torque converter only bites 40% of the clutch area(every converter we have cut open shows less than 50% contact). I know that you guys(me included) spend the money on the horsepower first and you promise yourselves that you will upgrade trans before you flog the truck. As Arnold (our governor) says "i lied". Don't let the trans go too far. I am seeing things in the transmissions i look at that didn't have to be(wear problems). Just a friendly reminder to maintane.

mike

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The torque converter eventually locks up in fifth (I assume thats what I'm feeling) and you can feel the truck put the power to the ground and the G force. If I could get the tranny to hook up in 2-4 we'd have something. As far as I'm concerned, the chip works best for towing or half throttle or less. If I buy a better TC, do I need to step up the tranny right behind it?

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Try running it in the tow haul mode.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ratlover,

I've already done this and it helps some but doesn't grab like fifth does. I would have to guess this has to do with tranny programming.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Topgas,

When you accelerate up through the gears, say at 3/4 throttle and pay real close attention to the sound of the engine and rpm, in tow/haul mode, you should hear the torque converter engage after the truck shifts into second gear and before it shifts into third. This same thing occurs when running up through the gears in all throttle positions when in tow/haul.

At that point, the TC is engaged until you begin to decellerate.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, Jim, I got ya. I think this is more of an issue with the tranny shifting at a lower rpm. When you get on it, the engine goes right up to 3000 rpms for what seems to long. If we could get it to shift earlier I think we would better use all that torque a little lower in the rpm range.

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
Transgo shift kit and converter upgrade ASAP. You won't believe how happy it will make you. Better than sex.
Lasts a lot longer and you are not required to perform.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts