Diesel Place banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Ive been thinking about/wanting to do this since I put the truck together! Just never was able to find a cluster >.< Not much in the way of big truck wrecking yards round here... If y'all bump into another one let me know, I'm always interested. Whether or not I have money, that's another story LOL! Damn college kid budget!!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Check his user title out :whistle:
You sneaky bastard you..... I like you :hehe:

^^^^^^^^^this 6.2l section is what keeps us coming back here, its fun and no one is trying to compete or keep things top secret...:)
We're a fun gang :) Only a little bit of shanagins going on :whistle:

Hey I still have a 6.2 block in the back yard, I am gonna keep it so I can still hang out here :p:

Actually I found a 88 6.2 2wd Dually Crewcab local and I want to buy it bad.....
I need someone here to twist my arm LOL
Its a wise investment! Drop it and turbo it!

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
Hey I still have a 6.2 block in the back yard, I am gonna keep it so I can still hang out here :p:

Actually I found a 88 6.2 2wd Dually Crewcab local and I want to buy it bad.....
I need someone here to twist my arm LOL

Twist, twist, twist.....get it done Bob, you are about ready for another project by now......LOL.:ro):ro):ro):ro)

Reactions: Hawkstrong

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Hey guys....

Someone is going to yell at us someday... lol.

Bob I'm twisting your arm here too! :grd:

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
little update on this, went today and got the cluster, can verify that its as simple as three wires that make it function, a signal wire, a power, and a ground.... another interesting thing is it does indeed have a type of dip switch, more like a dip stake, there are 2 places in the tach circuit strip for it, an A and a B position, my theory on this is that one position is for coil on gassers, and one is tach signal on diesels, which means this type of tach will work on ANY diesel no matter what number of cylinders.... and now pics...:D

Attachments

Reactions: AsphaltCowboy90

·
Resident Pinhead
6,638 Posts
to end all this how does the tach pickup work once and for all it uses a pickup that is in the bellhousing and makes the ring gear act like a tone wheel. it sees the ring gear spinning and sends it up to either the tach or another little brain box (that part is cloudy). I did an engine replacement on a 86 7500 GMC tandem graintruck with a 8.2 Detroit in it (turbo even, could almost get it into 13th gear empty with a wind behind me). and I remember the tach didn't work after I reinstalled it and it was I had forgotten to plug in that sensor on the bellhousing. that's how all semi tachs used to work until all this real high tech injection BS came into play on them.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,754 Posts
to end all this how does the tach pickup work once and for all it uses a pickup that is in the bellhousing and makes the ring gear act like a tone wheel. it sees the ring gear spinning and sends it up to either the tach or another little brain box (that part is cloudy). I did an engine replacement on a 86 7500 GMC tandem graintruck with a 8.2 Detroit in it (turbo even, could almost get it into 13th gear empty with a wind behind me). and I remember the tach didn't work after I reinstalled it and it was I had forgotten to plug in that sensor on the bellhousing. that's how all semi tachs used to work until all this real high tech injection BS came into play on them.
Sure rain on the tach parade :p:

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts
CPS should work fine too.
J&J, you guys never thought to look underneath for a bell housing magnet and sensor did you? I wonder how easy that is to integrate...

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts

·
Resident Pinhead
6,638 Posts
IIRC my bellhousing has a hole in the bottom that points right at the ring gear, could thread that and install a sensor there. dunno what you auto boys can do though

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,754 Posts
Twist, twist, twist.....get it done Bob, you are about ready for another project by now......LOL.:ro):ro):ro):ro)
H

Bob I'm twisting your arm here too! :grd:
If I had extra dough kicking around I would, but the K30 still needs more stuff.

If it's still around in few weeks maybe, still need to do my taxes lol

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
good info on one scenario, but i think we will investigate this further to be absolutely sure, there is the optional position on the back of the tach, not quite sure what it is for, thinking to test this off our alternator center tap....

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts
somewhere here I have a diagram to make a feed from the tach. If the balancer was notched for the sensor, I think that is the easy way.

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
somewhere here I have a diagram to make a feed from the tach. If the balancer was notched for the sensor, I think that is the easy way.
yeah we dont have time to burn thinking about this, i will just send it too you and you can tinker with it, just remember to start a thread for the stickies...LOL:thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Diesel Tach

little update on this, went today and got the cluster, can verify that its as simple as three wires that make it function, a signal wire, a power, and a ground.... another interesting thing is it does indeed have a type of dip switch, more like a dip stake, there are 2 places in the tach circuit strip for it, an A and a B position, my theory on this is that one position is for coil on gassers, and one is tach signal on diesels, which means this type of tach will work on ANY diesel no matter what number of cylinders.... and now pics...:D
Do you still have this dash cluster?? OR, can you find another one?? I need a diesel tach, and the pressure guage for a 1990 1Ton. This is still the old body style, with the orange highlights.....

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Do you still have this dash cluster?? OR, can you find another one?? I need a diesel tach, and the pressure guage for a 1990 1Ton. This is still the old body style, with the orange highlights.....
Funny......i was just thinking how cool it would be to have one for my 'Burb, but the font doesn't match the styling on my '90 though.

.....although i could just get a vynil made up to fix that....:whistle:

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts
THANKS for the link to the other thread. Any way to convert the high pressure guage for air brakes to a lower pressure turbo guage??
No. Buy a 2" boost gauge and stick it in the cluster, its not that hard.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts