Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is the TopKick gauge cluster interchangeable? it has a tach to the right of the speedo instead of an enormous fuel gauge

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,743 Posts
They will fit in the cluster, but getting it to work is another question.
They did come with a Diesel tach that went to 4k for trucks with a CAT 3208
Not sure if it was mechanical or electrical pickup though.

Plus you would have to run new wires for the fuel gauge

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,743 Posts

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
i wonder the same thing, were these tachs electric off the alt/sensor, or were they mechanically gear driven with a second "speedo cable"....

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
You could get in dash tach as a option for the gassers in the c/k trucks, It must have being available in the diesels to. I would think the 3208 tach was cable .

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,743 Posts
i wonder the same thing, were these tachs electric off the alt/sensor, or were they mechanically gear driven with a second "speedo cable"....
. I would think the 3208 tach was cable .
I used to drive a Brigadier with a 3208 (gutless)
Guess I should have ripped the dash out to see how the tach worked LOL

Now Asphalt has got my gears spinning with this tach stuff.

$200 for 6bt for a 6bt mechanical drive kit from Cummins.....

$37 for the Isspro sensors I need.... (Already have the sensor pickup and tach... thanks to the turbo guys reminding me lol)

Guess I will run the Isspro for now.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,743 Posts
Another question....

Did the 6.2 ever come with a mechanical tach provision?

Maybe something like this marine setup could work...

Pic of a different type of setup

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Wonder if you could run one of a crank angle sensor?

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
probably if a guy made a bracket from the oilpan bolts that bolt the pan to the timing cover, could run it under the balancer and come back up right in front and go from there, wonder that type of drive the used on 427 and 366? distributor pick ups or gear drives?

·
Eagle Eyes
1,334 Posts
An option on the 12SI alternators allow a tachometer pickup. Not sure if it would be correct for GM tachs.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
probably if a guy made a bracket from the oilpan bolts that bolt the pan to the timing cover, could run it under the balancer and come back up right in front and go from there, wonder that type of drive the used on 427 and 366? distributor pick ups or gear drives?
Ive only had 3 or 4 tall decks but Im sure they used the tach terminal on the dist. If you were running a mechanical injected 6.2/6.5 why couldn't you use the stock crank sensor and mount for a 6.5, You might have to calibrate the tach with a hand held one but once you got it set up I think it would be the black cats meow.:hehe:

Reactions: legendman

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,743 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Ok so heres a idea I got, I mess with small DC motors a bit for small wind mills. Since a tach is basically a volt gauge, If you drove a small DC motor off of one of those rear mount vac pumps (take it apart) and hooked it to a volt meter, then calibrate the gauge.

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
just came back from the scrap, the topkick there with the 3208 has the tach in the cluster, and it is indeed electronic, so i figure a alt. center tap will run it.... going back thursday to pull an IP, going to pull the cluster out and put it for sale here first dibs, and if no one is interested it will go to fleabay....if anyone is interested PM me with your offers...LOL...

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,743 Posts
just came back from the scrap, the topkick there with the 3208 has the tach in the cluster, and it is indeed electronic, so i figure a alt. center tap will run it.... going back thursday to pull an IP, going to pull the cluster out and put it for sale here first dibs, and if no one is interested it will go to fleabay....if anyone is interested PM me with your offers...LOL...

Oh man....

Did it have the fuel gauge in it too...

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
yup fuel gauge is just below the tach, also has air-pressure gauge, which actually might make a decent OEM boost gauge... might have to PM me legendman and work something out, i am not big on sitting on things, and when i take something like that its too sell back into this forum so i know its going to a good home......LOL

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,078 Posts
I'll take it, got no money to pay you, can't pay heat, family has no food, but at least the truck would have a tach.

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
I'll take it, got no money to pay you, can't pay heat, family has no food, but at least the truck would have a tach.
^^^^^^^^^^ this is man dedicated to his diesel....^^^^^^
:hehe:

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,743 Posts

LMAO, I just brought home a bag of wood pellets, supposed to be 8 degrees here tonight and I don't want to listen to my furnace cycle on and off all night.
Food... the wife just made a bunch of pasta and the cats are fed....good there...

You guys are killing me....
But how cool would that tach look in a K30 with a 6bt:D
I found some posts about being able to get a tach signal of the Mopar (YEA I SAID IT) alt...

Oh I just paid the internet bill (very important) and the light bill is paid.

PM Sent turboguys

Reactions: sportsman7
1 - 20 of 76 Posts