Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me say first that truck runs and tows great! Checking under hood the other day I noticed that top rad. hose was sucked in. This was with cold engine in the morning. When warmed up all looks fine. Expantion tank is proper level and the fluid looks new, I was wondering if there is some sort of blockage between tank and rad. Seems like it can't pull fluid back as it cools down. Whatcha think? Oh this is a 04 LB7. Thanks for any help.:cool:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
cap on expansion tank. Get a new one at Autozone.

Jim

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks jholly should have been able to figure that one out myself!! Get one tomorrow, thanks again

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Other problems you may have is soft hoses with system hot, (meaning system pressure < 15 PSI), and your tank level may actually drop as system heats up.
After you replace your cap, keep an eye on your expansion tank level for the next few cooldown cycles. If the hose is collapsing, you most likely have gas in coolant system, because liquid is non-compressible. During cooldown, as cooland contracts, gas in system moves to expansion tank, and is replaced with coolant. Some have claimed to add 1-2 qts of coolant after cap replacement. There's also a vent bolt, on the top front of the thermostat housing.
With a gas free system, as the coolant heats up to normal operating temperature, the expansion tank level should rise 1-1.25", and the upper radiator hose should get hard.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks modified, I'll watch it like a hawk!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was it! Thanks guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts