Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was drivin down the road yesterday and was going about 45 - 50. All of a sudden there wheres a loud pop and clunk. Pulled over and looked under the truck to see the driveshaft draging the ground. I pulled it out and put the truck in 4wd to get home. Luckly I was a mile and a half from home.

I started to pull it apart today, and I cant get the carrier out. Also what should I replace them with. I need new axles and new internals. I wanna keep the same gear ratio. Should I go with oem or aftermarket?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Holy crap! I've caused this several times on 10 bolts, but not on our 11.5"! :eek:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea its nasty... The ring and pinion has light wear, it has a few little chips but nuthin major. The axles have a few rough spots on a few of the splines.

So I figure I got to get everything except the rear end case. I figured since im replaceing them I should get some stronger stuff for future upgrades.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
noise wise i would stick with oem but if you want something stronger and are willing to listen to a little whine you could go another route.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
would it be cheap and be better to just get a rearend from a junk yard ? or would it be cheaper to replace the internals

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
give tate at randys ring and pinion. he is very knowledgeable in what he does. The yukon gear has no noise to it and locks up every time. In addition I have the no questions asked warranty.
To take the pinion gear out you have to bolt the chunk back up and keep both axles in and tires on the ground.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you get the carrier out? oh and the axles dont have anything to hook to I shattered the guts of the carrier

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just got off the phone with randys, I just ordered a truetrac.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got a question is it gonna be ok to run 85w 140 in my rear end. Im gettin the yukon gear and gonna put the mag-hytec diff cover also.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Dumb question, but did you pull the axle shafts out before you tried to pull the carrier? Also, did you remove the bearing caps? If you want to remove the pinion just put a big pipe or crescent wrench on the yoke and use an impact to remove the pinion nut. Once you have the carrier out and the pinion nut off just tap the end of the pinion with the hammer and it should fall out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did an install on the truetrac style positraction that replaces the GM Gov.lock about a couple of months ago. Buddy loves it.I think you'll like like it 2.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
MaddDogg49;1582107; said:
I got a question is it gonna be ok to run 85w 140 in my rear end. Im gettin the yukon gear and gonna put the mag-hytec diff cover also.
It will be o.k., but there's no reason to unless your towing or hauling heavy in a hot climate. I recommend synthetic whichever you decide.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JoshH;1582517; said:
Dumb question, but did you pull the axle shafts out before you tried to pull the carrier? Also, did you remove the bearing caps? If you want to remove the pinion just put a big pipe or crescent wrench on the yoke and use an impact to remove the pinion nut. Once you have the carrier out and the pinion nut off just tap the end of the pinion with the hammer and it should fall out.
Yeah I pulled the axles right after I took the cover off. I didnt know you had to turn the piecies on each side of the carrier. The Carriers out and havent tried to pull the Pinion off. I been pretty busy lately on gettin my shop ready to open later this month.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heres the rest of my broke parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Looks like a grenade went off in there. :eek:

DEWFPO

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
i have done some damage before but noting like that

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Just need a little JB weld...

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Wow!

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
How much did it end up costing you in parts to fix it?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts