Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was staring at the turbo preparing to take it off to clean the vanes and ring (and replace the unison ring if necessary.) But I was wonder why I couldn't take off the center clamp and remove just the intake side and leave exhaust side in the truck. Sure, I still need to clean the vanes/ring on the exhaust side but that appears doable. As long as I am careful separating and reinstalling the intake side and get it aligned correctly ...

Is there a reason this thinking won't work?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Have you tried tuning for your fix?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you tune out rust, corrosion and build up?

·
Administrator
15,677 Posts
How do you tune out rust, corrosion and build up?
Considering your location, tuning will be all but impossible..

Corrosion and rust in California will be little to none unless you are in a coastal location with salt exposure

Removing the turbo will save some time and allow you to clean the unison ring and inspect the vane guides, inspect and clean the exhaust side and you can replace any journals, bearings, etc..
The vane guides can wear, causing them to stick also.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Considering your location, tuning will be all but impossible..

Corrosion and rust in California will be little to none unless you are in a coastal location with salt exposure

Removing the turbo will save some time and allow you to clean the unison ring and inspect the vane guides, inspect and clean the exhaust side and you can replace any journals, bearings, etc..
The vane guides can wear, causing them to stick also.
Right. I was actually wonder if I could leave the exhaust side in place. I have no intention of covering up the symptoms. I recall someone that did that but I couldn't find it. Not that important. However, while the frame and body won't be corroded, the unison ring and vanes could be from sitting (which this truck does.)

I did notice in the manual that when you do the Tech2 TC Vane Solenoid 0-100 sweep, it says the position reported won't be accurate. That makes sense now.

Just a curiosity.

Thanks

·
Administrator
15,677 Posts
Right. I was actually wonder if I could leave the exhaust side in place. I have no intention of covering up the symptoms. I recall someone that did that but I couldn't find it. Not that important. However, while the frame and body won't be corroded, the unison ring and vanes could be from sitting (which this truck does.)

I did notice in the manual that when you do the Tech2 TC Vane Solenoid 0-100 sweep, it says the position reported won't be accurate. That makes sense now.

Just a curiosity.

Thanks
You might browse through Youtube and check out the Turbo Cleaning videos. There may be one that shows the Turbo left in place and cleaned:confuzeld

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I saw the EZ Off videos.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Take the turbo off put it on the bench and tear it down. Clean up all the hot side moving parts and apply a thin layer of nickel anti-seize to all of those moving parts.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I know the cleaning requirements, my question is at the top. No, I’m not spraying EZ off in there. :)

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Thanks, I know the cleaning requirements, my question is at the top. No, I’m not spraying EZ off in there. :)
Yes, that is why I said to remove the turbo because it needs to be removed to do this job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts