Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the state of TN require diesel trucks to get emissions tested or inspected in any way?

I live in IL and a diesel is the only thing here that does not get tested or inspected. I am wanting to remove my kitty with an exhaust upgrade, and am planning on moving to TN soon. I dont want to do an upgrade that I will soon have to downgrade.-:t

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yes TN does emission test 3/4 ton right now, but that could have changed. I have a turbo back MBRP no resonator and they didnt even look under the truck. It was funny when they tried to put the sniffer cone on my 6" tip, he had to hold it on because it was almost the same size...hahaha

But yes we are being tested, I passed and everyone else I know of has passed too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I live in TN and have never heard of any testing, could it be that it is your local govt. that requires testing? I have a 3500, and have never even heard of that. No one in my area has ever mentioned having one tested.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Same here in the Knoxville, Tri-Cities area. No testing that I've ever heard of, though if I'm not mistaken, that topic's been in front of the state legistature recently.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well in and around the Nashville area they are testing. So get ready guys I am sure it will be coming to your area soon.

They always want to pick on the little guy first, and yet I am sure that most of the over the road trucks are putting out some crazy emission numbers.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Depends on the city or county. Memphis has it, but my little "bedroom community" town does not (both in same county)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yes your right. It does depend right now on cities, but I am sure with Nashville and Memphis doing it that most of the others will join in soon enough. Guess they have to dig a little bit deeper in our pockets, now dont they?

·
Registered
826 Posts
You don't know the half of it!

Here the few places that do inspections are not certified garages, but government facilities. They are all staffed, by what we PC refer to as Democrats, just like 90% of all local govenment workers.

Just like you would expect, they are open regular 9-5 business hours so you have to take off work to get your vehicle inspected. It is not uncomon to wait 2 hours.

You do not have to be there in person to get your vehicle done, so a whole new business has emerged. People who will, for $75, take your car and go sit in line and get it inspected for you.

If you are a Republican you will fail for any minor infraction. I saw a guy fail because of a cracked drivers side mirror, still functional, just cracked!

If you are a Democrat you could tow in a junkyard special and pass with flying colors.

It is not uncommon to see a 10 -15 year old American sedan with all four corners bashed in riding on 4 space saver spares (I am not kidding!!!) Give that person a wide berth, they are looking for an accident with an insured driver.

·
Registered
454 Posts
we have it in Hamilton County, which is Chattanooga. Havent been yet. my two cars are coming up due this month.

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
Depends on where you live in TN. I live in a tiny town, cars do not even get inspected. I work in Athens which is a bigger town, and cars do not even get inspected. :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
The following counties require emissions testing in Tennessee:

Shelby (Memphis)
Davidson (Nashville)
Hamilton (Chattanooga)
and the following Davidson County surrounding counties:
Wilson County (Lebanon)
Williamson (Franklin and Brentwood)
Sumner (Gallatin)
Rutherford (Murfreesboro and Smyrna)

The cities in ( ) are for identification only. If your vehicle is registered in any of the above counties, a test is required.

Or read it here: http://www.tennessee.gov/environment/apc/vehicle/counties.php

Fortunately where I live, Madison County (Jackson) doesn't require it......yet or I would have to gut the cat and weld in back on.:ro)

·
Registered
826 Posts
Well it does not really work that way here. If you live in Memphis (Shelby Co.) you do have to get inspected, but I live in Collierville (Shelby Co. also) and do not. Bartlett, Germantown, Arlington, Lakeland & Collierville are all in Shelby Co and do not require the test.

The following counties require emissions testing in Tennessee:

Shelby (Memphis)
Davidson (Nashville)
Hamilton (Chattanooga)
and the following Davidson County surrounding counties:
Wilson County (Lebanon)
Williamson (Franklin and Brentwood)
Sumner (Gallatin)
Rutherford (Murfreesboro and Smyrna)

The cities in ( ) are for identification only. If your vehicle is registered in any of the above counties, a test is required.

Or read it here: http://www.tennessee.gov/environment/apc/vehicle/counties.php

Fortunately where I live, Madison County (Jackson) doesn't require it......yet or I would have to gut the cat and weld in back on.:ro)

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Well in and around the Nashville area they are testing. So get ready guys I am sure it will be coming to your area soon.
Yes your right. It does depend right now on cities, but I am sure with Nashville and Memphis doing it that most of the others will join in soon enough. Guess they have to dig a little bit deeper in our pockets, now dont they?
It is based on whether or not the EPA determines that an area does not meet federal air-quality standards. Unlike some other states, the state government of Tennessee has not historically been an activist at imposing additional burdens like this, and as for the cost, it's $10, less than most states charge for safety inspection - not required by the state of Tenn. (There's also no tax on earned income & no personal property tax, either).

The following counties require emissions testing in Tennessee: Shelby (Memphis); Davidson (Nashville) and the following surrounding counties: Wilson County (Lebanon), Williamson (Franklin and Brentwood), Sumner (Gallatin), Rutherford (Murfreesboro and Smyrna); Hamilton (Chattanooga) ...Or read it here: http://www.tennessee.gov/environment/apc/vehicle/counties.php
And if you do that you will notice that Shelby county is not on the list ("certain vehicles registered in Hamilton, Davidson, Rutherford, Sumner, Williamson and Wilson counties are required to pass a vehicle emission test. Gasoline and diesel vehicles with a model year of 1975 and newer weighing less than 10,500 pounds GVWR must pass an emission test"). It's only the city of Memphis, which has a city-administered safety & emissions inspection program. The other area consists of Nashville & adjacent counties. Emissions testing has been required for several years in both Memphis and the greater Nashville area because they were designated non-attainment areas by the EPA.

Last year, new stricter air quality standards imposed by the EPA caused the area from Chattanooga northeast toward Knoxville to be classified as a "non-attainment area." Since then, Chattanooga & Hamilton county have started requiring emissions testing. I would expect there's a good chance that will eventually spread to all counties from there to Knoxville, and maybe even a bit farther north. But it only affects a narrow strip. Adjacent, less populace counties, like Bradley, were not among those newly designated as non-attainment areas.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all of the response here, I am trying to get relocated to the Knoxville area. Looks like I wont pitch the cat just yet...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.