Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was forced to replace my stock trailer hitch on my 2001.(due to the welds falling apart). So instead of getting another stock hitch I bought the Reese Titan V. All I can say is holy heavy metal. This hitch is beefy and can handle rated loads. My trailers sometimes run over 12k+ and tongue weight is always overweight so I feel much better with the TITAN V. Has anybody else had there stock hitch fall apart? Does anybody else have the TITAN V?

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I had the Titan V on my last truck and man was it heavy.
It was 4 times the weight of the stock hitch.
I would say the truck frame will fail 1st.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My weight distributing hitch bent my stock 03's hitch so I too went the way of the Titan. Haven't towed with it yet. It was a tight fit with my Banks exhaust. Edited by: MOTO HEAD

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
What can i expect to pay for the Titan. Towing 10k daily with no weight distributing hitch. Can see the hitch flex, checking welds daily.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Titan V will not flex with 10k. It is solid as a rock. I don't use weight distribution either. I don't remember the exact price but it wasn't much more than stock. Only thing is...you will need to get new slide in. Or get an adapter. I got the Titan on both my trucks. I don't EVER want to see my trailer hitch break at the welds when I am towing 11k+. I tell you it was one of the scariest thing. With the Titan V I tow with confidence. My average pull is 11000lbs+ 500miles per day. If your tongue weight is lite and the trailer isn't that heavy than stock is ok...

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
on one of those sites it says 2 1/2 square reciever tube? i assume that is the crossbar dimention. sounds lie the ones chevy used to use. my 99 C/K had a real hitch on it. never even flexed with 14k no weight distributing.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chevmeister,

Ok so your assumption is incorrect.

Lemme explain.

1. Titan V = receiver hitch (this bolts on in place of stock receiver)

2. Hitch bar = this has the ball on it and slides into receiver.

3. reducer sleeve = 2 1/2 to 2" sleeve that slides in the reciever so the hitch bar will fit.

4. On your truck now you have a 2" reciever hitch.

5. The Titan V is 2 1/2 receiver hitch.

6. So unless you get the titan 2 1/2 hitch bar you will need a reducer sleeve to work with your exsicting hitch bar.

If you looked at my truck at the convention you saw the Titan V with the titan 2 1/2 adjustable hitch bar that is 16" long. I do not use the reducer sleeve. That hitch bar is one heavy sucker.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
looked at it, hooked the strap to it twice, never even noticed. i guess i could have a 2 1/2 made for my one trailer, the rest i can adapt to 2". The factory one I give till spring tops.

And hey we all know what ass-u-me spells.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts