Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between the All-Season and the On/Off Road options for tires from the factory? I am in the process of ordering my truck .... What have other people chose for tires from the factory??

Bob

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The all season are about as street tireish as you can get. The on/off road tires on my 03 were the Firestone Steelflex ATs. Not too bad for out of the box stockers. They do seem to wear out fairly quick though.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So worth the extra $40ish to upgrade?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would not waste the money. Go right from the stealer to a reputable tire shop. They should give you close to 90% of the value of the OEM tires trade in on a better set.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Just as a point to consider the OEM Wrangler SR's that came on my truck (even with an occasional application of Hot Juice) have 45,000+ miles on them ... rotated them two days ago (do a 7 rotation every 5,000 miles) and they appear to still have a good 20,000 left in them ... right now, I'd be hard pressed to not replace them with the same thing when the time comes ... Jim

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have 21k on my Wranglers. No rotations, I'm lazy and figured they would wear out fast anyway. They still look like new!

·
Registered
448 Posts
My stock goodyears have close to 70,000, I'm a 2WD Dooley so they are not off road

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the OEM Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires. They only lasted slightly more than 36,000 miles. I rotated them every oil change. Inflated the front tires to 70psi the outside rear 65psi and the inside rear 60psi. They were almost like slicks when I got the new tires. The wear was even across all of the tires. It must be the OJ.

Do some of you have the OEM Wrangler STs. That might explain the extended mileage?

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm a 2wd dually also and the tires are the Wrangler SR

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
dont pay the extra unless your gonna stick with stock size, most upgrade to a bigger tire and tire store should give you near full value on tires.. I upgraded to 285 bfg's for 100 bucks

·
Registered
626 Posts
I replaced mine with 265's for looks the first day I had the truck, but it can cause warantee problems.

·
Registered
617 Posts
As far as warrantee problems for 265 series tires go, it is a non-issue. I purchased my '02 GMC 2500HD D/A ex cab 4x4 SWB off the showroom floor in 2/02. This truck was actually modeled on the showroom with Eagle wheels and 265/75/16 BFG All Terrain TA/KO's. After I purchased it I heard people talking about GM/Allison voiding the warranty of the Allison if a problem occured. I emailed GM customer service stating how I purchased the vehicle new with the larger tires and I NEED assurance the warranty is still valid. After going round and round on wording of their reply, they finally stated in English that 265 series tires will not affect the warranty. If anyone gets in a bind over this send me an email and I'll send them the letter. It's not on my email anymore and I'll have to scan the printed copy.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Mcfly said:
I would not waste the money. Go right from the stealer to a reputable tire shop. They should give you close to 90% of the value of the OEM tires trade in on a better set.

I went to two dealers and one offered me $40 a tire and the other $ 45 a tire. I had 43 miles on the tires and they are Bridgestones. needless to say I kept them and will change tires and wheels sometimes in the future when money is a little more plentiful. Bill

·
Registered
795 Posts
For the record,

I had Wrangler RTS on my 98-Z71 and I could not get off concrete without having a flat. I just a had blowout on one of my Firestone Steeltex tires on my 2002 HD Duramax. Truck has 26000 miles. Replaced the Firestones with 265X75 16 Goodrich KOs.

Edited by: gmccall

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've got my stock firestones on, 27,000 miles & they're showing wear - I'll use them until the weather turns bad, then get some new tires.

I'm getting 255's, because I just like skinnier tires, & they're about as tall as I want to get.

Anyone here have any?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts