Diesel Place banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I go to Glamis and I have never had a dually. Now I have one on order and I was wandering what the best tires for the sand are for the dually. Im not sure what size rim yet but was thinking about the 17" wheels. Was first thinking about some 19.5 rims, but someone told me that the tires that I could only get for that would be to stiff and would not be able to squat when air is let out of them on the sand.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Is it a 4X? You may not need it to squat as much since you have twice the surface area on the ground that you are used too. Whatever you get, just remember that the agressive tires seem to dig in faster (IMHO).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dig in Faster

Yes it is a 4x. I thought that a aggressive tire would be able to bite better. Because if you had just a factory tire, then it would be as if you are running a smooth tire across the sand. That is the way I thought. I was thing about the All Terrain Tires would suit me best. What do you think.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
A/T are good in the sand

·
Registered
365 Posts
I run the goodyear mtrs in the dunes and there great.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I run BFG A/T's on my current truck and the last one. I go to Glamis frequently and they do very well. They also tow well and work well for daily driving. They are my first choice for an all-around sand/street tire.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have the BFG's also and have no problems with traction in the sand.

The BFG's do have an aggressive tread and do bite a little but that makes them a good all around tire. They've worked well for me in the sand.

For sand you really want a tire that is going to float rather than dig. Of course I always air down in the sand and that makes a big difference in increasing the float.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
stay away from paddle tires.

a/t tires are best. super swamper traxus, dick cepek fun country

there are many others

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Yes it is a 4x. I thought that a aggressive tire would be able to bite better. Because if you had just a factory tire, then it would be as if you are running a smooth tire across the sand. That is the way I thought. I was thing about the All Terrain Tires would suit me best. What do you think.
:agreed:

·
Registered
576 Posts
A more agressive tire will bite to much thus causing you to dig in to fast and get stuck.
IMO an A/T tire is best.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I added a front locker to help in Glamis after getting stuck my first trip with it this year. It is a real pain to air down a dually.

·
Registered
139 Posts
A/Ts are the way to go. Mudders will dig too much. If you dont mind a little more road noise and shorter life get the Mickey Thompson Baja Claws...they rock in the sand.

·
Registered
543 Posts
BFG A/T's are the way to go. Mudders dig, and they get horrible street mileage. I have been going to Glamis for years and BFG's have seem to work the best. Just remember to air down as soon as you stop moving, and start to loose traction.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
I USE THE stock 245's at pismo (way worse than glamis), and after dropping off the trailer almost 500yds east of the hardpack, i motored all over the dunes

of course, i did air down to 20 psi

1 - 14 of 14 Posts