Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting tired of having to keep throwing parts at this truck to keep it running! Just had to replace the right rear stop/tail bulb for a blown stop lamp filament! So far that makes it: one low beam bulb, two DRL bulbs, a belt tensioner, VR Straps, Bilsteins and a serpentine belt. All that for only 79,900 miles and 29 months! What a POS!






Just call me "NON-Problem Child"!
Edited by: Idle_Chatter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,036 Posts
Yeah, American trucks are real POS'es. I heard if you hit the old ones at 50mph broadside, drill holes in the fuel tank, and light off model rocket engines in the dripping fuel stream, they could catch fire.


I think I'll go looking for a Japanese Truck that will tow 15,000lb, seat 5-6 large adults, and still get 20mpg hwy unladen. Going by the TV commercials I'm sure the Japanese build the finest trucks in the world.


Incidently, the only Japanese truck I've owned was a Nissan (low price). At 20k, bye-bye transmission, 50K windows cranks, radio, AC failed, at 100k, rear end blew. At 125,000mi it went to the crusher when it blew the headgasket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,617 Posts
Most of your problems are bulbs, they are likley not American made bulbs!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I can't agree with you 100% on the Japanese trucks, McRat. Vehicle before last (my last gas fueled one) was a 1986 Nissan Pathfinder. Drove it for 12 years and 240,000 miles - 24 avg mpg - no engine overhaul, no major problems. Sold it to a buddy's wife when I bought my diesel Tahoe in 1999, she drove it for another 30,000 miles and it was sold to another acquaintance last year who's driving it today - no overhaul and no major problems!


Still the "NON-Problem Child!" Must be my Irish blood!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Max Power said:
Most of your problems are bulbs, they are likley not American made bulbs!

Funny you should mention that, Max Power! I bought GE 3157 bulbs at WalMart. Noticed when I was putting the new bulb in that it had "China" marked on the base!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
648 Posts
I hope that bulbs and the serpentine belt will be the only things I have to replace in 80k mi.


Had good luck with my last truck (170,000 trouble-free miles), so hopefully that luck will be conveyed to my '04.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
My old 92 Dakota is still going strong. 250,000 miles and never had a valve cover off. Replaced the water pump at around 200,000. Other than wear out items, tires,belts shocks etc. Nothing else has broken.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
394 Posts
if toyota would ever come out with a diesel heavy duty the american truck builder would be a thing of the past......i have to say i would buy one...kinda sick of wining americans making big bucks at the auto plants throwing stuff together and always talking about strikes to get more money .......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Idle_Chatter said:
Max Power said:
Most of your problems are bulbs, they are likley not American made bulbs!

Funny you should mention that, Max Power! I bought GE 3157 bulbs at WalMart. Noticed when I was putting the new bulb in that it had "China" marked on the base!




There made at the same plant that make all the Christmas tree light bulbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Toyota has had 1 ton diesels for many many years. They aren't "high performance" like the DM or the new PS, but they are very reliable workhorses. All you have to do to get one is live somewhere other than North America!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Oldman said:
Toyota has had 1 ton diesels for many many years. They aren't "high performance" like the DM or the new PS, but they are very reliable workhorses. All you have to do to get one is live somewhere other than North America!!




I read somewhere about this truck that Toyota makes, my question is who would want one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,617 Posts
rickles04 said:
if toyota would ever come out with a diesel heavy duty the american truck builder would be a thing of the past......i have to say i would buy one...kinda sick of wining americans making big bucks at the auto plants throwing stuff together and always talking about strikes to get more money .......




Toyota could make the best damn diesel and put it in the best truck in the world, I would still buy GM, Ford or Dodge. I am sure I am not the only one.Edited by: Max Power
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
648 Posts
Max Power, you hit the nail on the head. There will be no rice-balls in my garage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,036 Posts
Idle_Chatter said:
Well, I can't agree with you 100% on the Japanese trucks, McRat. Vehicle before last (my last gas fueled one) was a 1986 Nissan Pathfinder. Drove it for 12 years and 240,000 miles - 24 avg mpg - no engine overhaul, no major problems. Sold it to a buddy's wife when I bought my diesel Tahoe in 1999, she drove it for another 30,000 miles and it was sold to another acquaintance last year who's driving it today - no overhaul and no major problems!


Still the "NON-Problem Child!" Must be my Irish blood!

I can only go by my experience, and that Nissan was a POS. When the transmission failed they tried to tell me it wasn't covered. Only after letter from a lawyer did they agree that their warranty covered transmissions. Damn thing locked up at 40mph with my (ex)wife driving. She shifted from 3rd to 4th, and BANG!!! They said it was "Driver Error" because a women was driving. Seriously.


That was the last import I ever bought. The myth that American cars are crap and imports are perfect was shattered for me that day. Truth be told, ALL man-made devices lack perfection, and American workers are just as good as what they do as anyone else is.


PS - My Ford E-350 has 125,000mi of serious abuse on it including extensive towing, off-roading, overloading, etc. Battery, cracked windshield, tires, and brakes are the only things that needed repair. I was SUPPOSED to sell it when I bought the GMC, but I'm having a hard time parting with old girl. It will probably run another 125,000. Uses no oil, no leaks, quiet, and smooth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Pathfinders were a Jekyll and Hyde vehicle alright - I got GREAT service out of mine, a few other people I've talked to did too, but there have been an equal number or more that had horrible experiences with them! One thing I know for sure is that mine was the first year of the Pathfinder and was a Japanese assembled and imported truck. From 1987 on, they were all built in Kentucky - not saying that was a causal factor, or anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Sounds like some of you guys are a little scared of some good ol` competition.Max Power,for your information, Toyota does make some of the best Damn diesel engines in the world and there alot of people ( maybe not on this site)that would jump at the opportunity to own one!
Did you know that in January i believe,Toyota overtook Chrysler for number 3 in North America ? Pretty good for a "rice-ball" car company dont you think? I think you all should give credit where credit is due ! Edited by: Bigf00t
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
909 Posts
I've got a little bit of rice under my hood (Izusu) and so far so good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,300 Posts
Funny......

Most of the problems I have had are all small like yours. Rear springs clacking/squeaking. Tire pull from bad firestone tire (new). Roof popping over 70mph on freeway.

Its all cs stuff from poor r&d american junk. Hell the japs dont even build good stuff anymore. I had 3 bad HP scanners right out of the box in a row today.

Now that piece of junk Uni thats another story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
909 Posts
HP's quality has gone down hill since the HP/Compaq merger. Having been burned in the past, it'll be some time before I ever buy anything from HP/Compaq.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
I too had the HP Probs recently. Used to be one of the better companies, but then again, my momma used to give me lunch money every day.


No whining here, I keep em for a long time, last truck 15 years, 267k miles, vey happy so far at a mere 16k miles.


ps I always keep an extra serpentine belt in the truck, must be voodoo, as I have never had a problem on the road. Now the okd truck ate a belt tensioner about every 70 to 80k miles, it had 3 in it's term of service with me.


Cheers
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top