Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me a good tire in a 285 that would be a good all terrain that would be good on the highway. Something like a Michilin LTX AT. I had them on my last truck but they only come in a 265?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have run BFG AT they are awesome tires.. I know alot of people here run the Nitto terra grapplers and love them..

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just put a set of 285 BFG AT on two days ago. I am surprised at the noise they make, not a lot but more than I expected. Love the look.

Edited by: Corsair

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I really like the Toyo Open Country's ... just switched from BF KO 315/70R17's to 295/75-16's ... also available in 285's, 305's and 315's. Just got them installed today but had them on a previous truck. The Bridgestone Revos are very popular among forum members.

http://www.toyo.com/tires/index_frame.html

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have had great luck with my Yokohama Geolander AT+. Great wear so far, great traction in wet/snow, quiet, great looks and good price. I think I paid about $130 ea mounted, balanced and warranty.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES!

·
Registered
199 Posts
03GMC

What is your thoughts on the ride quality of the green keys? I have only cranked my torsions and have lost some ride quality. Also what tire pressure do you run in the front tires?

Nice truck by the way.

Corsair

·
Registered
362 Posts
Corsair thanks for the compliment!

Before installing the green keys I did a comparison between just cranking the stock keys and the green keys because I was skeptical of them like everyone else. I cranked the stock bars 8 full turns netting about 1.5' of lift but the ride was way harsh. Front suspension was almost non existant. I then swapped the keys and cranked them up for about 2.5" of lift. The ride was horrible because it bounced all over the place. Kinda like trying to balance on top of a ball! I decided to crank them back down to 2" of lift and the ride was really good. That is where I left it a year ago and 10K miles. I would compare the ride to about 3-4 turns on the stock bars. just enough to stiffen hings up so it handles better.

I am running right about 53psi in the tires!

·
Registered
199 Posts
03GMC

Appreciate the info. I turned my torsions down and let my tires down to 46 psi and the ride really improved. I have just a hint of tire rub at full lock left in reverse. I am going to try it for the weekend. I will probably order the keys and give them a try to see which seems best for my application.

Thanks again Corsair Gone Fishin!!!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Has anyone tried General tire's All Terrains?

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
I am most likely going to run the Nitto's on mine, I like the way they look and I can also get them cheap so that is a plus. But should that fall through then I am going to get the BFG's. I use to have them on another truck and they were awesome. Nice and quite and easy to take care of.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does any one know if I have to do anything to my truck to put the 285's on? How about the speedometer? I was told that you could only put 265's on an have the speedo calabrated.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Depending on what wheels you use. Stock wheels you should be ust fine. With 16x8 wheels with a minimum of 4.5" BS you will most likely have to zip tie your inner fenders back a little for clearance. 3-4 turns on your torsion bars, and possibly trim a hair off your front valance. Nothing major though.

As far as the speedo mine was only off maybe 1-2mph at the most. Not even an issue if you ask me. 265 is all the dealerships can program for that is if you can find one that will do it for you. You kinda have to know somebody there. I used a HPIII to reprogram my speedo, adjust for the 285's, shift firmness and shift points. Throttle responce and performance was greatly improved and maybe a mpg or so improvement.

·
Registered
679 Posts
So if a guy has 265 75R 16 on his truck would there be any need for lift or will a stock unit have enough clearance on full suspension travel?

·
Registered
199 Posts
According to my GPS when the truck indicates 70 mph actual speed is 74, at 40 mph indicated actual 42.8. I have done nothing for odometer correction.

On installing 265's if any modifications are needed I would think 2-3 turns on the torsion bars, this is a maybe.

For my 285's I trimmed the front air dam, used industrial velcro to secure the left front inner fender to the washer reservoir, cranked the torsion bars 60-75 % of capacity. I have no problems with this setup so far.

Corsair

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can someone explain the "stock keys" and the "green Keys" I talked to a wheel alingment guy today and he did not know what I was talking about.

Help please!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts