Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed some unusual looking tire wear on the rear, outside tires on my truck. It is the inside tread on both outside tires...The wear pattern is like small wedges on each of the innermost treads. The tires are the stock Goodyear Wrangler AT/S. I have 18k miles on the truck, and the tires were rotated at about 7k miles. I plan on rotating them again soon.

It looks like this is a "new" wear pattern, because the wear spots are rougher than the rest of the tread, and cleaner too.

Is this a common dually thing? A friend of mine said his Dodge dually ate rear tires.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PoolRebel said:
They might be out of balance.

I thought the same thing, but it's unlikely both sides would be equally unbalanced.

KevinEdited by: Fireman

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
What kind of tire pressures are you running in them? They could be out balance. Have you rotated your tires? Tires need to be rotated to wear evenly.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Rotate rotate ...... Bring the rear inside tire up front same side ....
Steering tires will wear faster and need to be rotated for even tread ware ....

Mac

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
well my rears are dead flat straight across half tread.... my fronts are slightly... well kinda.... smoked... smoth as a babies backside...

check air pressure?? mud caked between rims???

usually fronts wear quicker cause you got 2 tires holding most of your unladen weight.. in macs case its all the high speed cornering, and the sudden stops when the V1 lights up

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its the outboard rears that are wearing, not the fronts.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Fireman said:
Its the outboard rears that are wearing, not the fronts.

Kevin

What Mac said....

I've driven "Dooleys" for a number of years now and you've got to keep the tires rotated, I usually start thinking about it at 5,000 miles and don't let it go over 7,000 or you'll start seeing wear problems somewhere.

That is the number one reason I run Simulators (the stainless fake wheel covers) on my trucks. Dismounting and remounting the tires on expensive custom wheels that often is not a good plan to me.

In your case, not only is balance a consideration, so is bad shocks...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In your case, not only is balance a consideration, so is bad shocks...

[/QUOTE]

I just put bilsteins on about a week and a half ago. 3 of the 4 oem shocks were history (both rear and one front). Maybe that was the cause.
I didn't notice the wear prior to putting on the new shocks, but then again, I didn't look that closely at the tires either. A tire rotation and balance is planned for after Christmas...I will keep to a 5k mile regimen in the future.

Thanks,

Kevin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts