Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 GMC 2500HD Extend Cab, Short Box Duramax/Allison. I tow a smallish (about 7500 lbs) 5th-wheel trailer, although not a great deal, and use the truck as my personal vehicle. Lots of around town and several trips out of state. The stock Firestone Steeltex A/T's are essentially gone at 23,000 miles. The tires seem to be wearing evenly and I've tried to rotate them about every 5,000 miles. I get the impression that most folks are getting much better tire wear. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? I'm chronologically advantaged (read that somewhat older) and retired, so I'm not "hotrodding" the truck. I'm wondering if I'm missing the boat re: air pressure. I usually run 55lbs front and rear, with 75lbs in the rear when I tow.

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
987 Posts
I run 55psi in mine too. I've got 34,502 on the truck. Tires rotated at 26,000. Don't tow (well once a year maybe), but haul topsoil, sheetrock, 2x4s. 2002, ext cab, 8ft bed. Stock

Tires look half worn, do notice some edge wear on insides from tires that were on front.

www.dieselgettogether.com

·
Registered
987 Posts
OH yeah, do you get a shake for no apparent reason - It almost seems like a flat spot , or out of balance. But its not constant, or speed sensative. Its done it since truck was new , I've not been able to pinpoint so I've not complained.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the stock steeltex fire blow at's and have almost 50K on them. I have been really satisfied with them. I rotate them at every oil change...about every 7,500 miles, and run 50 psi in the front and 45 in the back. When I tow or haul really heavy stuff....i.e. rock or brick or sand.... I run 60 psi in the back. I don't know why your tires are almost shot at 23K. I still have about 10,000 miles of life left on these tires. I plan to go Michelin or BFG next go round.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Jim,

What is the weather like where you drive? Hotter = shorter tire life.

Steve

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ragtop - I'm in Colorado - so its hot or cold - but cold more often than hot!

I have never gotten (bite my tongue lest it start) any shake like a flat spot.

Diesel Pusher - are most of your miles highway? I was wondering if my wear might be related to lots of town driving???

Oh well, guess I'll try another set, watch tire pressure closely and cross my fingers.

Jim

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have 30K on my stock set and might make 35K. I only have 2/32nds left. I have them rotated AND rebalanced every 5K like clockwork.
I to do 90%+ of my driving in town. I do try to keep the tires from spinning, but not my foot out of it. I run heavy or tow seldom. I run 55 in the front and 45 in the rear day to day. I kept lowering the rear pressure until I got the entire tread to show some wear. It seems like the inside of the rears never touch.
My father-in-law drives mostly off road and highway and got 50K on his. I think what you drive on is very important with these tires as they seem to have a very soft compound.

·
Registered
14 Posts
JimandKarla:

I drive about 75% highway and 25% around town. You may have just gotten a bad set??? It is hot here in Atlanta in the summer for sure. I can't complain about them. I think I will get the BFG All Terrain's next. I had two sets of them on my last truck and they were great.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
54000 on my '01, still had decent tread on the front, and you could still distinguish where the tread blocks were on the back. Never rotated, never do. I've never had a problem with Firestone Steeltex, be it the AT's or the R4S road tire. Have them on all of my work trucks, and usually get 60k before steel shows.

Ty

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting replies. I'm thinking that a part of my "problem" might be that I tend to replace tires a little earlier than some folks. I have 6/32" on the front and 7/32" on the rears (assuming I'm reading my gauge right). I would leave them alone, but with winter coming in Colorado it makes me nervous running tires that are a bit thin. Maybe I'm being overly cautious?

Jim

·
Registered
845 Posts
I wouldnt be Jim these steeltex's have absolutely no bite in them when they get towards the iffy part. I think they have no grip mainly because the ourside treads are really just ribs, No cleats to em at all. First storm last year plowing all I did was slide....I was stopped once....and just started sliding sideways.. Next day I took a short trip to my local Goodyear dealer and Got some MT-R's(way too aggressive for normal driving) But I never once got stuck with those tires, Well once when I fell into a huge frozen pile of snow trying to stack more snow on top of it...But nothing besides a winch or a chain will get you out when your in frozen solid snow upto the doors.

Im trying my first set of BFG's now...Great bite not overly agressive..mileage wise...Im not too sure...jury is still out.

I think my next set with be Procomps.

Bill

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Jim, I just replaced mine with BFG All Terrains. They still had six all around but the traction was gone. Later! Frank

·
Registered
987 Posts
hey Tony, share the info on those pro comps ! Anywhere local in CT to buy them ?

Whats biggest size that will fit stock pol alum rims ?

www.dieselgettogether.com

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've got a friend with a 2002 2500HD CC D/A SB 4x4 and he's got 30K on his and is thinking he will replace them before winter. He's a nit picker on vehicle maintenance, air pressure and rotation. But they just haven't worn well. I'm keeping an eye on mine. I've always done 6000 mile rotations, which in my gas trucks worked out to every other oil change.

·
Registered
490 Posts
On my 2000 3500 4X4 I got 28,000 on the first set of Uniroyals. My previous truck, '98 2500 4X4 only got 26,000 on the first set. The new Dunlops on the 2000 have 4K on them and I have just rotated them front to rear. The rears seem to be wearing a lot faster and are "flatter" than the fronts. The Dunlops have a 60K tread wear warranty. The 2000 is coming off lease, and I should have my '03 D/A by Thursday!

·
Registered
122 Posts
35K on my Firestones, not much tread left, no cross bars at all. Traction is not good with a little snow. Will be replaced Thursday with Bridgestone Revos.

SteveEdited by: fishdmax

·
Registered
473 Posts
I only have 7.500 on my pickup, not sure about he tires. I was in a tire shop the other day to have a trailer tire repaired. A guy in the tire shop asked me if I had the Allison Tranny. He told me the Allisons are really hard on tires. I had no idea a transmission would make your tires wear any differnt. Anyone heard this one?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the Goodyear Wranglers, sh*tty tires.
I only got 36000 miles out of 'em. I do drive agressively however I have had, on a different truck, dunlop radial rover RV with over 50k and still rolling. I also got excellent mileage out of a set of BFG Mud TAs. Just went to a set of Michelin LTX M/S Commercial. So far excellent tire. Can't wait for winter, the Goodyears were terrible in the snow. Edited by: Mcfly

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
BIGMoe said:
I only have 7.500 on my pickup, not sure about he tires. I was in a tire shop the other day to have a trailer tire repaired. A guy in the tire shop asked me if I had the Allison Tranny. He told me the Allisons are really hard on tires. I had no idea a transmission would make your tires wear any differnt. Anyone heard this one?

I would think that i has more to do with what is bolted in front of the Alli.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts