Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to go to a taller tire when the current 245/75r16's are worn out. A little wider would be OK, but not too much. Don't want to change rims, and don't want the poor wet weather handling that wide tires bring. Also don't want clearance problems. Mainly looking for a little more ground clearance and hopefully better mileage.

I spend quite a bit of time in the mud, so a tire that is a good compromise between mud performance and long wear/quiet on the pavement is what I'm after. Any suggestions on size, brand, and tread pattern are appreciated. Truck is an '03 D'Max 3/4 ton 4x4 ext cab 6 speed. TIA

·
Registered
939 Posts
255/85 R16's will fit on the stock rim and will be a taller tire. I am thinking about going to this size when I have to buy new tires next year. Maybe sooner, thanks to OJ!!

I am having a bit of a crowning issue as well with the 265's on the stock PYO rims. I guess I didn't get the pressure's just right as they are wearing more in the middle than the edges. I guess 45psi wasn't low enough... oh well the 6.5" rims are technically not wide enough for 265's. Not sure how some run 285's on PYO's without problems....

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4x4,

Called Discount tire yesterday AM to see what they would recommend to fit my criteria. He suggested the same tire as you did. He even said he had a set of take-offs from a new truck that just came in. I went by to look at them, paid the guy $259, and threw them in the back of my truck. The tires on my truck only have about 16K on them so it was a little too soon to be swapping tires. Didn't want to let these get away though. The tire guy said new ones would cost double what I paid. The tires were Dunlop all terrains. Not quite as aggressive on the tread as I would have liked, but they should wear well and be civil on pavement. Here's the only potential fly in the ointment.....The tires came off of a F**d F250. Do you think that my truck will suffer any ill effects from this? I'll clean and disinfect before installing. Hope that's enough.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Twinscrew-

Well, now we know how you got the tires so cheap!!

I recommend a vodo proceedure and some type of cleansing technique..... "these tires......are clean now...."

heheheeheheee

Good find, I hope I can come across a deal like that when I am ready to start looking for tires!

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts