Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THis is a great forum...Need some advice...

My wife's suburban is in need of some new tires and I want something a little larger and wider than stock...

Currently it has 265-70-17 and I was thinking of a 285-70-17 and perhaps adding some wheel spacers to give it a wider track...

The Suburban is a 1500 2WD...

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

·
Registered
960 Posts
Where do you live? I snowy conditions, a narrower tire is actually better for getting around. And going to that different diameter tire will throw the speedometer off about 3 mph at highway speeds.

·
Premium Member
18,123 Posts
At stock offset, I'd expect the 285's to rub the inner liners while turning and with spacers, I'd almost bet they would clip the bumper valence while turning.

And I'm not really KEEN on spacers.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
The front hubs are designed so that most of the load is carried by the larger inner wheel bearings. Spacers are going to move the load out and overload the outer (smaller) wheel bearings. They will negatively affect bearing life.

As stated above, you can also expect a lot of tire rubbing on inner fender liners and bumper lower valance with the spacers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your comments...

I think I'm going to a 275-70-17...per my tire guy they will work without any modifications or rubbing...

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I would not put spacers on anything that my wife drove. Like said above they put strain on parts that are not designed to be stressed that hard. Also the thing will wander around on the road much worse when you put the wheels out further. Does she want bigger tires and spacers. Most just want the thing to be reliable. I would save your money and spend it on your rig. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
285's are as big as you can go stock, if it sets a little higher that normal you might get a 305 witch is the same tire sizes as a 285 just a little wider.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
285's are as big as you can go stock, if it sets a little higher that normal you might get a 305 witch is the same tire sizes as a 285 just a little wider.
A 305 is only the same size as a 285 if the Aspect Ratio is dropped 5%.
ie
285/70/17=32.7/11.22/17
305/70/17=33.8/12/17
305/65/17=32.6/12/17

1 - 9 of 9 Posts