Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every post I read about tires refers to new trucks with 265' or 285's. I just bought an '06 3500 dually. Before buying I visited a number of dealers and looked at a lot of invoices for new trucks. Every one came equipped from the factory with 215's. What's up with this?

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Search this section...there is plenty of information about upsizing K3500's Look in the 3500 section too. The general consensus is you can go to 235's and any bigger will require the use of spacers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was really wondering how so many new trucks already have larger tires. Is it that common to replace tires as soon as you get the truck?

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I was really wondering how so many new trucks already have larger tires. Is it that common to replace tires as soon as you get the truck?
Very common, because depending on your tire dealer they may actually take your stock tires (called take offs) in on trade to help offset the cost of the new ones. And, you would be surprised at the resale market for "take offs".
JP

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
The issue with a dually, is that when you load one down, the tires squat and the sidewalls can kiss together if the tires are to wide and or big. That is the quickest way to destroy two tires. Letting them touch together is not a good thing at all. A 215 size tire looks weird, but it is rated to carry the load that is required, so the OE's put it on there because of cost. You are very limited as to what tire you can put on a dually because of the space in between the duals. There is a 225/75R16 that will fit easily. I would not recommend going to the 235/85R16. The reason is because it is so tall, that you are going to loose some pulling power at the bottom end. Also, your speedo will be off, and if you don't have the tires air way up, they will kiss under load. You can use spacers, but you are changing the stress points on the lug studs and the hub. Not at all a good idea if you are using this truck for work. If it is just for show, then you might get away with it.

Good Luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts