Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the Smartire or similar system for monitoring tire pressures? It appears that a 2nd Generation system is about to come out from Smartire. But, I can't seem to locate a dealer that has them in stock yet. It looks like I could get a whole system with a remote display for about $300 +installation (on the tires).

·
Registered
138 Posts
tundracamper,

I've had the SmartTire system for a couple of years now. I use it to monitor the pressures/temperatures in my Fifth Wheel (FW).

Mine was an early Generation II system with remote sensors that were only good for about 75 psi. Since my FW only had Load Range C tires (50 psi) I figured I'd give it a try. The sensors are mounted inside the tire, on the wheel, using very-large-radiator-like-hose clamps. I mounted the receiver module and display in the overhead console.

The problem with this arrangement was that the sensors did not always reliably report in. (The remotes transmit about once a minute or so, or if pressure changes significantly). I disassembled the receiver and removed the small coil of wire they were calling an antenna and ran a piece of coax back to the CHMSL (Center High Mounted Stop Light) and let 1/4 wave (about 7 inches at 432 MHz) hang out the bottom of the plastic lens. WORKS PERFECTLY!

With all the problems RVing folks have with trailer tires it sure is comforting to get "real-time" pressure/temperature reports from the tires. You can program the display unit to alarm at any temperature or pressure you desire.

They've just released the newer transducers (up to 150 psi, I think) and also have a new receiver with remote receiving antenna that eliminates the problem I had. I really shouldn't call it a problem. At the time, the directions clearly stated it was for a tow vehicle (passenger vehicle style) and a single axled trailer. I think I will buy some of the new higher pressure remote sensors and install them in the truck tires.

BTW, the dislay unit is VERY flexible. I believe you can program in any conceivable tow vehicle/motor home along with a triple axled trailer with dual wheels in ALL six locations. I'm definately thinking about seeing if I can extend the range to pickup a pair of sensors in the boat trailer when I tow tandem. Sure would be nice since there's no way to see what's going on with the boat-trailer tires.

Highly recommended:

Smartire

Hmmm, just browsed over there. Seems they STILL don't have the high-pressure sensors available. They say early '04. Mine are only good to about 68 psi.

BTW, purchased mine from The Tire RackEdited by: gwmayes

1 - 3 of 3 Posts