Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This last weekend I was with some buddies that are ex-truck drivers. We got to talking about tire pressure, and I told them that I ran 80 PSI in my truck, BUT ONLY when towing the 5'er.

I told them that when I first got the truck, I tried running something like 50 PSI, and I couldn't harldy keep the truck and camper on the road. After telling them this, they said that was ONLY because the tires were new, and they had a lot of tread on them. They said that I could lower my pressure to something like 50 now that my tread is about 75% gone, and it'll be fine. The "extra" tread makes the tires "walk" all over the road.

They swore that it was an old trucker "trick" to run more pressure with new tires, and then lower it as you got more miles on the tires.

Is this fact or fiction? Has anyone ever heard this before???

CADman_ks

·
Registered
687 Posts
The load rating has nothing to do with tread depth.

But tire "walk" is definately reduced with tire tread wear.

Empty, this is the way to do it. As a brand new (16/32"+) Load Range E tire inflated to 45 psi is real squirrely. Bump the air up and it will not "walk" nearly as much.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Keep the pressure up when loaded. Handling will improve, wear will be reduced.

Your tires are only rated at full load when fully inflated.

·
Registered
704 Posts
If you want to never again have to GUESS at what tire pressure to run either loaded or unloaded, you need one of these.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/pyrom.htm

You won't believe how well you can make these trucks ride, and balancing the front to back will be the biggest advantage. Everyones trucks and trailershave different weights, and what works for one person will not neccessarily work for you. With a pyrometer, you adjust you pressure down to the EXACT psi for your truck.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
They are correct that new tires tend to walk more, it is worse on semi's. But I would still run max psi in the rears when you pull your 5ver.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
New tires are quicker! Meaning they will take your truck in one direction further with the same amount of steering wheel movement as compared to the same amount of steering wheel movement with used tires.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
White Duramax said:
They are correct that new tires tend to walk more, it is worse on semi's. But I would still run max psi in the rears when you pull your 5ver.

I agree with the max in the rears, and I never had any intention of lowering the pressure in the rear. I think that I'm going to lower my fronts though. My truck really rides hard when the fronts are at 80PSI.

I just wanted to make sure that this tire "walk" thing was real. Sounded kind of fishy at the time, but they swore by it. However, what I described to them, and what they described to me, sounded like the same thing, so it definitely sounded like something that could happen...

CADman_ks

·
Registered
704 Posts
On race car circuits requiring DOT tires, they shave the tread before using them to reduce squirm.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Running the rears at max will also increase towing mileage. I went from 245 E rated to 265 D rated. The 265s boogie a little more towing but but ride better empty. Later! Frank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts