Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my new BFG AT's seeing about an 6-7 PSI difference between a mid 30's morning and a long afternoon drive. More than I would have thought. Maybe my guage doesn't read correctly when its cold out):h

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
You must be running summer air. Very common. Switch to winter air and you will not see such a drastic difference.

·
Registered
975 Posts
:funnypost

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have problems because I have Mountain air in my tires. They give me problems when I tow in flat country. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
You just have to remember to only use cold mountain air, and then you should be pretty close once your truck is in warm flat air. Remember, PV=nRT!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
:Nothing_f just :idiot:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yeah I replaced my air in the tires at every oil change now,man they dont make air like they use to.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You need to switch to synthetic. It's much more slippery than the old dino air, thus lowering rolling resistance and increasing fuel mileage.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I only change my air twice a year, daylight savings time and daylight standard time. I use the "Central Air" both times, but in the spring I'm always an hour early when I check tire pressure....):h

Some guys fill their tires with notrogen, this will maintain pressure with little or no fluxuation.
JP

·
Registered
868 Posts
I insist on USA air. None of that funny Asian stuff. Who knows what might be in it?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Wow, I didn't realize there were so many comedians on this sight. You all should go on tour with Larry the Cable Guy. :)
Actually, all you really need to remember is that you should always check, and or change air pressure with the tires cold. Meaning that they have not been driven since the previous day. Set your pressures based on that, and don't worry about how much they are gaining when they are hot. Pressure builds as tires heat up. You should never adjust air pressure on hot tires. If a tire is low and you have been driving, then it has a leak and should be fixed. Check the tires in the morning before you leave, or after the truck has sat overnight or so.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
You guy should try the smog out here now thats good stuff.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
You guy should try the smog out here now thats good stuff.
Ummm, with all of those chemicals in the smog, would the tires then be considered self-sealing? ):h
JP

·
Registered
826 Posts
Wow, I didn't realize there were so many comedians on this sight. You all should go on tour with Larry the Cable Guy. :)
Actually, all you really need to remember is that you should always check, and or change air pressure with the tires cold. Meaning that they have not been driven since the previous day. Set your pressures based on that, and don't worry about how much they are gaining when they are hot. Pressure builds as tires heat up. You should never adjust air pressure on hot tires. If a tire is low and you have been driving, then it has a leak and should be fixed. Check the tires in the morning before you leave, or after the truck has sat overnight or so.
Yep, plus

This is why some places, like Costco, use Nitogen it does not expand when heated (and is not supposed to leak off as much)

One of the things I have always done on motorcycles (streetbikes) was check pressure cold and go for a normal or typical ride. When checked warm/hot you are looking for a 10% increase in pressure. If you have a bigger increase you are running your pressure too low and the tires are getting too hot, If you do not get a 10% increase when warm/hot you are overinflating and your tires are not getting warm enough. Maybe this is crazy idea for trucks, not certain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts