Diesel Place banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been tons of discussions on tire sizes, widths and such for 16 inch wheels. The NBS dually uses 17 inch wheels. I'd like to hear feedback from NBS 17 inch wheel owners and their choice of tires......different from stock of course. Thanks,

·
Registered
88 Posts
There's been tons of discussions on tire sizes, widths and such for 16 inch wheels. The NBS dually uses 17 inch wheels. I'd like to hear feedback from NBS 17 inch wheel owners and their choice of tires......different from stock of course. Thanks,
I too have the same question, mainly what will fit on the stock wheels?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Does anyone have any experience w/ the new Dura Grapplers in a 17", if so what size are you running ?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am just wondring why so many want to change tire size?? Is there something bad or worng about the tires that come on the rig? Better ride or handling, tire wear, or is it a look that one might be trying to gain ? Inquireing minds want to know.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am just wondring why so many want to change tire size?? Is there something bad or worng about the tires that come on the rig? Better ride or handling, tire wear, or is it a look that one might be trying to gain ? Inquireing minds want to know.
Nothing but perhaps want to change the look of the truck. Larger diameter tires can give the truck a different look. That's all.

·
Premium Member
9,432 Posts
I should have this set up done on a LMM in about 2 weeks. I will post what we do for tire size and parts used.

Nor-Cal Nick

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am putting 285/70/17 BFG AT on my NBS dually tomorrow. I have 2 inch spacers from Fred and I'll take some picks and let you know if there is any problems. Although I don't forsee any, worse case I step down to a 265. But if I do that I think 2 inch is overkill, I'll have to have a freind of mine mill them down to 1.5 if that happens.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am putting 285/70/17 BFG AT on my NBS dually tomorrow. I have 2 inch spacers from Fred and I'll take some picks and let you know if there is any problems. Although I don't forsee any, worse case I step down to a 265. But if I do that I think 2 inch is overkill, I'll have to have a freind of mine mill them down to 1.5 if that happens.
Could you also take measurements and let me know how high it raised the rear end? I can't wait to see your pics.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Truck is all done and I am itching to go pick it up! 2 more hours till I get of work........

I took measurements of the center of the wheel wells before the stock wheels and tires came off, so when I get the rest measured I'll post picks and details........

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here it is! It is amazing how this truck can swallow these tires and make them look small. I think someone that wanted to do rear air bags (for heavy loading) and completely level the front could do 305/65/17 (and BFG has one).

I need to read up on posting images from the garage so they are not tiny like this. But you can see it full size in the garage.

There are more pictures in my garage. I am definatley going to bring the front up. I have a little rubbing on the left front tire (back side at left turn stop), but I am sure it will go away by adjusting the keys about 1 inch or so. Not too much because My rear axle is 6600 when hooked up and loaded and I don't want the rear to squat lower than the front.

The 2 inch spacers may be a little bit of overkill, we'll see. The is every bit of 1 3/4 inches between the duals. I don't know what the pressure is set at, so I will be playing with airing down (like for sand) and hooking up the trailer at street pressure to check the gap at those conditions.

The spacers need painted, but before I do that I want to make sure I don't need to be trimmed down to 1 1/2 inches.

RV Guy asked for measurements;

Now I removed 215/85/16's on 16x6.5 and installed 285/70/17's on 17x6.5.

At the center of the rear axle the bottom of the fender opening was Approx. 42 3/4 and went to 44 1/2. (again I think there is too much air in the rear)

At the center of the front axle the bottom of the fender opening was 38 1/2 and went to 39 1/2. I am going to adjust this up at least 1 more like 1 1/2 or 2 inches.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Look in his garage they are bigger there.
The spacer looks a little wide to me but you will need to do all your testing first.Its pretty tight in the fender ,do the tires ride nice ? I realize that question may need some time to answer.

ddjthomas,

Can you post a bigger picture?

·
Registered
62 Posts
ddjthomas,

Can you post a bigger picture?
I'm still learning at this website!:lol:

If this doesn't work follow the directions below!

Just click on the garage link under my name at the right. There are more full size pictures in there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Look in his garage they are bigger there.
The spacer looks a little wide to me but you will need to do all your testing first.Its pretty tight in the fender ,do the tires ride nice ? I realize that question may need some time to answer.
I already noticed a little anti-lock brake bounce in the rear, but like I said I don't know what the tire pressure is at. I thought I had the right kind of air chuck but it need a different angle to get the outside rear dual.

I'll report more after adjusting the keys and pressures.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Looks great!:ro):cool2:

I think 1 1/2" spacers would have done the trick though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for taking all the measurements. Don't do anything to the spacer until you've connected your trailer and you see how the weight affects the tires and spacing. You may be surprised depending on how much air pressure you put in them. Which leads me to the question of what tire LETTER and weight rating are your new tires?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for taking all the measurements. Don't do anything to the spacer until you've connected your trailer and you see how the weight affects the tires and spacing. You may be surprised depending on how much air pressure you put in them. Which leads me to the question of what tire LETTER and weight rating are your new tires?
I know, it will be a while before I modify the spacers! If at all, I want to go through all of my load cycles and operating conditions.

they are only clasified as a D, but they are 3195-single and 29??- dual @ 65psi. On the BFG website they don't show the dual rating but it's on the side wall.

·
Registered
62 Posts
OK, I need to get something workes out for the valve stems! But that will be in a different thread.

The tire shop had way too much air in the tires. 70 in the front and 65 in the rear. Lowered the front to 60 and the rear to 50. Sidewall says 65 max. The ride was much improved. Then I raised the front 1 1/2 inches which helped with tire clearance and improved the ride even more.

The anti-lock brake bounce is almost gone. I have to hit a pretty bad bump while on the brakes hard for it to kick in. Amazing what a little air pressure and leveling can do to make it ride better.

I will take more pictures in the good daylight!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts