Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been asked 1,834,372 times & I have done the search thing for the last 3 days on this.

my truck will live it's life as a trailer towing work truck. it will have either a 30' triaxle equipment trailer behind it or a 38' triaxle enclosed (both goosenecks). also the truck & trailer will be grossing up to 30k. I'm 99% sure I'm going with Alcoa magnum wheels, & thinking about 245/75/16 procomp all terrain tires (3042 max load). I am needing a tire that gives decent off road traction (some of my customers are off the beaten path) & looking for longevity. I have used the procomps on a single rear wheel with good success. what do yall suggest?

·
Registered
54 Posts
19.5's instead of 16's. You can get some real rugged 19.5's in load range G.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about the 19.5's but 2 things are stopping me. #1- the $3,000 it takes to get them & #2- they ride like shCensored after about 70k miles. 16's are about 1/2 the cost of 19.5s.

·
Registered
954 Posts
have you looked at 17.5.they have a 6000 lbs load rating and are tough.i am currently running 235/85/16 on my truck.michelins.they currently have 92000 miles on them and are wearing great.i also pull alot of weight and they hold up great

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have you looked at 17.5.they have a 6000 lbs load rating and are tough.i am currently running 235/85/16 on my truck.michelins.they currently have 92000 miles on them and are wearing great.i also pull alot of weight and they hold up great
I have never heard of 17.5 dually wheels for our trucks. what Michelins are you running? how do they do in the mud? my truck will be in the mud.

·
Registered
954 Posts
wheels are custom made.i dont know about mud,but thet do real well in snow

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anyone else have any suggestions or recommendations?

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
because we were getting ready to leave on a coast to coast and border to border trip towing a heavy camper we took the OEM tires off at 60,000 miles with pretty good tread left on them ... replacements were cheap and had to be replaced at 50,000 miles due to sidewall concerns ... went back to OEM tires and they are still going strong ... I know it isn't very popular with many on the forum but GM's stock steele rims and OEM GoodYears have served us well

Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think the 245/75/16 are too small. I ran that size for years and last week went with 235/85/16 and am much happier. If you want really long life move up to the 17.5 that come on the gmc/isuzu box trucks and get a highway tread pattern. Our box truck tires last for ever and cost a lot, but you can haul more weight. I paid about 1100.00 for six 10ply bridgestones mounted and balanced in SF ca.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
where can I find 17.5 wheels in pollished? I don't want steel wheels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts