Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting some tire cupping or scaling (not sure of the correct term) on the front right tire. What could cause this? I just had an alignment done and it was good for a bit then it goes back to this. i want to fix it before I put new tires on the front and waste money. I am thinking a toe problem but what could cause this on one side.

dave

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I didn't know shocks could cause cupping thanks.

My buddy has BFG AT's on his truck and they cup like terrible. He assumed it was the tires but perhaps its the shocks.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Mine on the '02 are cupped badly, from being run under-inflated.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Mine on the '02 are cupped badly, from being run under-inflated.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The shocks are less than a year old I thought that too but it did it before and after the new ones. Maybe it is underinflated. Are there any mechanical things I can look at??

dave

·
Registered
812 Posts
Brake drag or driveline engagement, jack up the front and see if both tires spin freely. Spin the front driveshaft and hope the tires don't turn.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aketay,
I went out and checked what you said and I can turn the front drive shaft and the tires do not rotate. Could it be a pitman or idler arm bad??

dave

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had a bad case of cupping on the inside of both front wheels. Installed the cognito stabilizer kit to my stock idler and pitman arms and installed new tires--Seems to have solved the problem. THe stock parts are a piece of junk and i can't understand why they put these on. I believe that when these parts go bad, which they will surely do, the front tires toe in on braking which over time cause them to cup.

Ken

1 - 9 of 9 Posts