Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of buying a set of tire chains (just-in-case sort of thing for those Northern excursions) and I have a question:

When I go to tirechainsdotcom and look around, they talk about the profiles of the chains a lot. When I look in my owner's manual it says not to put chains on 265 tires, but says I can on 245's, if I have to. I have the wimpy summer-tread 245's at the moment, thinking quite seriously of going to 265's now (instead of next Summer) since the chain sizes are not the same and I know I'll have 265's next year anyway.

Has anyone run chains on their Duramax? If so, can you tell me if you really can run chains on the 265's or not w/o damaging your truck and if so, which kind? I was looking at the regular square-link chains. Maybe I'm crazy thinking I need to do this. I just like the idea of being able to not be stranded is all...

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
There is not enough room to run chains on 265's. You would have to lift it and do some cutting,

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I would think u could run them on the rear only.

The trouble is in front u don't have much clearance when turning.

I run an open studded mud tire (maxxis buckshot) in winter and the BFG mall terrains in the summer.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't ever run chains on the front unless you want your front axle to take off w/o your vehicle underneath it...

Tim

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'll just bite the bullet and buy a set of BFG TA KO 265's and be done with it. They have to be better in snow than the stock summer tread skateboard wheels I have. The only thing is that the stock tires are probably better on wet roads than an (or TA) style tread would be.

Tim

·
Registered
69 Posts
I certainly wouldn't buy tires just for the 1% of your driving. If the 245's work 99% of the time stay with them. As far as the summer threads go they will work fine if you lock it in 4X4. I have never had any problem with mine going in snow (which we just had 6 inches of the other day).

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
When I bought my '02 I was concerned with the clearance on the front tire/bumper when I have to chain up. I cured the issue by modifying the chain tightening tool I use before latching the outside chain hook. It worked. Coming out of hunting camp in Idaho last month I had to chain up all 4. (I have a set of modified truck chains I made years ago from sets of oilfield chains made for 11.00x20 tires, big a$$ chains and have gone thru 3 trucks without a breakage) Its a darn good thing I had all 4 chained up too! Thought I would be cute and see how far I could get in 2x4 mode, yea right! I pull a 14,000+ lb (when loaded with horses and "stuff") all steel goose neck horse trailer with 10' living quarters. In the snow, on an ice packed dirt road, the first slope I had to hit the 4x4 button in a hurry cuz the backend wanted to head for the crick bank! Baud-a-bing baud-a-boom, straightened out and kept on trucking! 14 miles later (3-15mph the whole way) we took off the chains and headed the last 900 miles home!

Chains are a must where I come from. Four very important things to remember. 1. Get more chain than you need (less chance of breakage) 2. Tighten the chains as tight as you can, drive the vehicle 50-100 yards and tighten them again (take all the slack out, and keep the loose ends tied up) 3. Keep the chain tighteners in place, never use old worn tighteners, and keep extra available. 4. Keep the speed down! (oh yea, always put the darn things on BEFORE you need them!)

I have personally driven more than 50-60 miles at a time with chains on and never tore up chains or truck. Well once. The one time I broke a chain (side wall) I was in deep frozen ruts climbing a very steep mountain side in the snow. Spinning all 4 and making inches a minute forward movement, finally broke one side rail. I kept a 'monkey' link in my tool box so when I got to the top it only took a few minutes to repair the chain, put it on and keep on trucking!

Rule was years ago in the oil patch of WY, chain up the front first, gotta be able to steer the front and pull you around the corners under control.

One of the best snow busters I ever had (for in town during WY blizzards) was a Honda Accord (front wheel drive) with chains.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts