Diesel Place banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Now for going down. Still in T/H, in drive. Snub the brakes as the speed increases. It will down shift and start retarding. If still too fast /gaining speed, snub the brakes hard twice again. If under 3500 RPM it should step down another gear, and retard harder. The retarding/grade brake is unbelievable when the RPM is over 4000 RPM.

THE IDEA IS TO HAVE COLD BRAKES WHEN YOU HIT THE BOTTOM. Drive it more like a semi driver drives his unit. It will be more fun in the long run. You don't have to win the race.... just arrive alive.

learned this lesson comming down the blue ridge mountain in VA. side road, damp and way steep. i needed all the brake i had at the bottom to make the right onto 22. 17k gross, upgraded pads on the truck. next time i will be checking up sooner instead of letting it run down the grade.

turnpike- do you have a turbine brake working on your truck? been thinking of changing my tune up just to get one. some of these grades headed down south or way up north in NY put the old truck to work.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
learned this lesson comming down the blue ridge mountain in VA. side road, damp and way steep. i needed all the brake i had at the bottom to make the right onto 22. 17k gross, upgraded pads on the truck. next time i will be checking up sooner instead of letting it run down the grade.

turnpike- do you have a turbine brake working on your truck? been thinking of changing my tune up just to get one. some of these grades headed down south or way up north in NY put the old truck to work.
I have a turbo brakeon mine, love it helps alot.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Efi live or something else?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
All great suggestions. Taking it a little further, a couple of weeks ago, with a 2500 lb. camper in the bed (or so, because I haven't actually weighed so it's probably more when loaded) over Sonora Pass in the Sierra Nevadas . . . 26% grade warning. I used low gear (#1) which means I wasn't going very fast, but then there are lots of curves too, but still didn't use the brakes much at all. Adjust to the conditions!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks again for all the info and suggestions guys. Definitely eases my mind

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Efi live or something else?
I have a dsp2 switch, tune 1 is 80hp tow with turbo brake, tune 2 is 100 perf/econ tune. Tunes written by Shotgun Bob at duramaxtuner.com.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I need to swap to efi live.fornthe turbine brake.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have an 07 LBZ with EGT gauge. (Edge Insight) and tow a 10k TT. For what its worth, I towed MontEagle pass 4-6% grade for 5 miles, a 10% grade for 1+ mile in west Georgia and various other grades at 5% or greater and well over a mile in length. I keep it in T/H and in gear where the RPM is about 2200. I've never seen my EGT over 1200 or engine/transmission temps out of normal range.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I got my truck last month and took off two later towing my 29' TT to OK from SW WY. I was in T/H mode, auto and it was HOT out. I pulled the hill outside Laramie hard due to my inexperience with diesels and being impressed with its capability. As I neared the top the coolant temp spiked and I got an overheat warning. The DIC told me to idle to let it cool. I popped the hood to facilitate that and ten minutes later all was good.

Lessons learned.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts