Diesel Place banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all, due to the number of miles (just rolled over 251k) on my truck I think it would be a good idea to change the timing set. Looked in the manual and it looks like you have to remove the IP, water pump, harmonic balancer/pulley, then the timing cover itself. Does that sound about right? Do I have to completely remove the IP, or can I just unbolt it and yank the cover? Also, will I have to pull the intake and water crossover to get to the IP?

Thanks!

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,552 Posts
The IP doesn’t need to be touched at all.Just the three 12 point 15mm nuts that holds the injection pump to the timing cover.Basically the water pump with the outer cover comes off followed by the harmonic balancer.Then take off your top gear that’s held to the injection pump driveshaft.Its held with 3 13mm bolts.Then you can take off the timing cover.

You don’t need to touch the intake or water crossover.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The IP doesn’t need to be touched at all.Just the three 12 point 15mm nuts that holds the injection pump to the timing cover.Basically the water pump with the outer cover comes off followed by the harmonic balancer.Then take off your top gear that’s held to the injection pump driveshaft.Its held with 3 13mm bolts.Then you can take off the timing cover.

You don’t need to touch the intake or water crossover.
Great to hear! thanks!

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Just to add some details for someone else reading this later...... The 96+ trucks went to a dual thermostat crossover with an outlet that kinda pointed back to the steering wheel. I found that removing the upper hose and this outlet makes getting to one of the IP nuts much less bad. With that out of the way I used a ratcheting wrench. Its possible to put the dual stat crossover on earlier engines so if you are looking at what you got thinking its impossible to access that nut that could be why. The earlier crossover with the single stat was more typical where it kinda pointed up and to the radiator.

Reason for the change was 96 they went to the H6 AC compressor that was much too long to fit in the old spot above the vacuum pump. They basically swapped the alternator and AC locations. AC went top left and alt went mid right. Upper radiator hose had to curve around the new compressor location is why the outlet points to the back.

Reactions: 56pan and LinePilot
1 - 4 of 4 Posts