Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please just tell me how to check my timing degrees, and what tables adjust it? I know it probably sounds like a stupid question, but i just can get it on my own.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Check these. They explain it in depth.

ONE
TWO

BTW, these came from THIS sticky at the top of this section. ;)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is TDC, and how do i know i know if i am woring before tdc or after tdc as far as adjusting timing?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
TDC top dead center...piston all the way up
bdc bottom dead center......piston all the way down

BTDC is before but no more than 45*
ATDC is after but no more than 45*

BBDC/ABDC is the same as above but rigth before and after the piston is BDC

clear as mud;) :D

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
on the timeing when the ECT(engine colant temp) is above 160* the ecm uses B0910 i advance the timing till i got rattle then backed of till it becomes queit again. use it at your own risk;)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So do i advance the table by highlighting the whole table and increasing it by say 5%? or do i pick a certain area of the table to advance? any recomendations?

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Look at how your sample tune was adjusted. This should be a good starting point. If you are still lost read some more. For many it's not as easy as some make out to be so if it all goes over your head, don't be embarassed, you aren't alone.

Make small changes in one table at a time.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What tables do i need to focus on, i am assuming that B0910 and B0928 are gonna be my main focus.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
i would just worrie about b0910 for now modify the 80 to 110mm3 & 1000 rpm up only for now
go up in 0.5 degree increments and dont exceed 30 for now 40 is max

why are you adjusting your timing?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
honestly my engine woke up when i advance my timing though i am only max at 25*

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not adjusting my timing, i just want to learn as much as i can about efi live, is timing an issue, or can i make most of my power with fuel?

·
Registered
741 Posts
sweetdiesel;1583681; said:
i would just worrie about b0910 for now modify the 80 to 110mm3 & 1000 rpm up only for now
go up in 0.5 degree increments and dont exceed 30 for now 40 is max

why are you adjusting your timing?
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't B0910 for higher altitude?
He lives in Bakersfield (625 ft. above sea level).
Shouldn't he be modifing B0909? Or is Timing base B0909 an LBZ thing?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Making MAP files really helps too.

I made a MAP of the PIINJTIM and MNINJTIM so I could add a few degrees at my cruising speed.

Haven't driven enough yet to know if it did any good.

Ben

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Timing A-B-C are baro sensitive and MAF sensitivbe and to some degree temperature sensitive.

They have an ADD-ON table and a Multiplier table for each one that further adjusts the timing.

The base timing and the add-on timing are also altered somewhat due to fuel temperature.

You have to copy all the tables to the AD-HOC table and then copy with labels and "ADD" the others to it to see the total timing at a given temp. Then you need to multiply it by the timing factor.

For example, if you have 5 degrees timing at 2000 rpm and 30 mm3 and the add-on is another 5 degrees it would command 10 degrees total, but as temperature goes up the factor gets smaller, so it may be 5 degrees multiplied by .5 which will only add 2.5 degrees.

The timing takes into account a lot of changes due to temp.

It will take lots of logs and experimenting to figure it out.

Good Luck,

:D

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
just a freindly hint it doesnt take as much timing to make big power as alot of people think just look at my power numbers in my sig I made 524hp with a less timing than some pro tuners and the engine was completely stock EFILive only

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Are LBZ's different than the 1st and 2nd generation Duramax engines when it comes to how much timing is needed BTDC to get good efficiency?

·
Registered
570 Posts
carcrafter22;1586410; said:
just a freindly hint it doesnt take as much timing to make big power as alot of people think just look at my power numbers in my sig I made 524hp with a less timing than some pro tuners and the engine was completely stock EFILive only
Sweet's advice is solid, he has some experimental and educated experience behind him.

Before you get all high and mighty about tuning you should know more about your truck. The LBZ has a CP3 that delivers more fuel. Thats where your extra power comes from with not so much timing. And there is rumor that the turbo is more efficient too! Care to learn more? Not to take away from your accomplishments but at the same time there are many tuners that deserve a little respect for what they have done.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
1000hp, calm down there buddy I wasnt insulting anyone I was just trying to give some freindly advice did I mention any names? NO. so just take a second to pull you head out of your @$$ and cool it before you go to calling me out. and who says I am all high and mighty (only you) I have stated in many many post that I am not very knowlegable at efi live even when I made 524.6 hp on the dyno I clearly stated in my post that it was probably by accident so back off pal. you might want to read some of my other post and you will see that I am very appreciative for other peoples advice and not ****y at all and difinatly dont claim to know everything in fact I am the first to say I dont know much at all. you just might want to think next time before you start acting like the neighborhood bully.and if you are going to give me a lesson about my engine you might want to tell me something that most people dont already know like the more powerful cp3 heck thats common knowledge on this board. to anyone else on the board I appologize for this rude post I have never posted like this before but I dont appreciate people atacking me like this. I was not being rude in my previous post and was not calling anyone out but it is true that some pro tuners use alot of timing (ie bullydog I hear) to make more power I just wanted people to know that it doesnt always take alot of timing to make good power

·
Registered
570 Posts
carcrafter22;1588465; said:
1000hp, calm down there buddy I wasnt insulting anyone I was just trying to give some freindly advice did I mention any names? NO. so just take a second to pull you head out of your @$$ and cool it before you go to calling me out. and who says I am all high and mighty (only you) I have stated in many many post that I am not very knowlegable at efi live even when I made 524.6 hp on the dyno I clearly stated in my post that it was probably by accident so back off pal. you might want to read some of my other post and you will see that I am very appreciative for other peoples advice and not ****y at all and difinatly dont claim to know everything in fact I am the first to say I dont know much at all. you just might want to think next time before you start acting like the neighborhood bully.and if you are going to give me a lesson about my engine you might want to tell me something that most people dont already know like the more powerful cp3 heck thats common knowledge on this board. to anyone else on the board I appologize for this rude post I have never posted like this before but I dont appreciate people atacking me like this. I was not being rude in my previous post and was not calling anyone out but it is true that some pro tuners use alot of timing (ie bullydog I hear) to make more power I just wanted people to know that it doesnt always take alot of timing to make good power
I don't recall atttacking you, but OK.:rolleyes: Your sarcasm seemed a bit insinuating itself. As far as the neighborhood bully goes I am not on here enough to be a bully. More like a tech advisor. I don't post too often because most of the people that hang in this form usually have the tuning and efilive operator errors covered. I add only what is needed. And BTW there is a combination of pulse width, MAP, AIT, etc. that help to provide people with timing numbers. Everything is affected by components installed, not installed and operating conditions. If you ever have any questions PM me. I'll be glad to help.:thumb:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts