Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could not find much in search so i have some QSs Ithink i remimber someone taking about what size and style socket for balancer bolt and is this bolt glued in?Do i need to tourq it on reinstall any surprizes i should know about? thanx for help jeff

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's a 36mm socket, but it is really tight. Because it's fine thread, you are going to need a very good breaker bar. I broke two Craftsman 1/2" breaker bars and three 36mm sockets, if you can get a hold of a snap on 3/4" bar and a reducer, it should work. The key is to try and jerk on the bar not just pull on it.Good luck!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Put it on as tight as you can get it. You do not want it coming off.

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
~280 ft\lbs.... its tight but not glued/loctited in. you may need someone to lock the tc when you start yanking on it cuz it will try to turn over the motor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you have an auto trans you will need a special tool that goes in place of the starter to hold the flywheel kent moore makes it cost $100. starter will need to removed and slid back as far as possiable. I also took out the drivers side inner fender well to access the bolts on the rear of the water pump. Getting the fan off is a pain as well used a craftsman rubber strap wrench to hold the pulley. total time was 6 hours. you will need o-rings also. do a search for the part numbers they are on this site.

·
Registered
16,234 Posts
If you have an auto trans you will need a special tool that goes in place of the starter to hold the flywheel kent moore makes it cost $100. starter will need to removed and slid back as far as possiable. I also took out the drivers side inner fender well to access the bolts on the rear of the water pump. Getting the fan off is a pain as well used a craftsman rubber strap wrench to hold the pulley. total time was 6 hours. you will need o-rings also. do a search for the part numbers they are on this site.
dealer did mine in 4.5 hours.....he had all the tools and resources right there to make it go quick

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
Easy to do, hardest part is the Crank bolt. First time around was 4 hours for me and Adamdmax, but I think we could do one for around 2 hours second go around.

Tool is a must have item, and we had the tool to loosen the fan as well, but all can be done without. The Waterpump from GMPartsDirect cast like 150 bucks and comes with everything, except the little 3/8" hose behind the fan pulley which is a good idea to change just because.....

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts