Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the trans on my 06 Express is acting up, when it warms up it starts to shift erratic and slips. It was rebuilt 189,000 miles ago. The van has 390,000 miles. The body has Canadian weight saving in full swing and the steering box has a bottle a week drinking habit. The engine is the highlight, besides the whining Gates replacement water pump (whatta ***** job) and some glowplugs it runs well. I don't see a diesel replacement in my future but know I will regret letti ng the best Duramax go the way of my 70 Cuda and 73 Trans Am of my past. I'm torn between going all in or moving on. The pandemic has sidelined my business so the decision is at least a non-panic one. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
With my van I am trying to keep the mindset that it is just a plain old simple cargo van. I love the Duramax but parts are not cheap and when you start doing all the math it can get out of control fast. Business wise does it make sense and will you ever a see a ROI ? Personal feelings say diesel is fun so lets spend $$$ and do dumb things.

Reactions: LCAC_Man

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
The rust is the nail in the coffin, that’s why I replaced my 06

·
Registered
897 Posts
My 06 lives near Chicago but hardly any body rust underneath. The key is to coat the underside, door insides and bottoms with a wax oil or grease of some sort. And do it every year or two.
What I love about the Duramax is the capability to tow 14k pounds. No other van comes close.. But if I didn't need to tow, I'd get one of the tall roof vans. Tired of bending over.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
My 06 lives near Chicago but hardly any body rust underneath. The key is to coat the underside, door insides and bottoms with a wax oil or grease of some sort. And do it every year or two.
What I love about the Duramax is the capability to tow 14k pounds. No other van comes close.. But if I didn't need to tow, I'd get one of the tall roof vans. Tired of bending over.
The 6.0 gasser would tow that but it would just be not as exciting and suck down fuel like no other. The 6.6 gas for 2021 should be a big improvement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts