Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 13,000 miles on my 2005 GMC and am ready to change the fuel filter. What brand fuel filter do you guys use? I called the local GMC dealership and they wanted $45.00 for the filter and $30.00 for labor. I also know a guy that works at Rapid Oil who told me he could get me a fuel filter for $14.00, but I am worried about the quality. Also, how difficult is it to change the fuel filter. I am contemplating changing it myself. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
155 Posts
all filters are made by racor and prices start 15-20 dollars and up.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I buy mine (Baldwin) at www.performancetruckproducts.com . There also a vendor on this site. Run you 28.00 shipping included. I wouldn't go more than 10,000 miles on the next one.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
i waited 10K on my stock one and it wasn't even halfway used up.

how did yours look? take a hacksaw to it and check it out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't looked at it yet. I am afraid to start messing with things. Is it pretty easy to change the fliter? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
448 Posts
It's cake. ;)

did mine @ 10K just before winter.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
take old filter off put new filter on

·
Registered
370 Posts
Go to DYI section. Info and pix a plenty!

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
http://www.fleetfilter.com/
There filters are racor the same as the napa sells. napa wants $40 plus fleetfilter $19, big difference

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
i paid 44$ for mine somewhere here in town. I paid way to much

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Be aware that although all fuel filters are Racor, there are three varieties on the street now: 1) original single pleat design 2) second dual pleat design and 3) third "long can" dual pleat design. Any "bargain" fuel filters are most likely the original single pleats that will give you less effective filtration. You get what you pay for. I strongly suggest you buy latest versions at good prices from trusted vendor sponsors, Kennedy, DMaxAlliTech or Greg Landuyt instead.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
You get what you pay for. I strongly suggest you buy latest versions at good prices from trusted vendor sponsors, Kennedy, DMaxAlliTech or Greg Landuyt instead.
:exactly:

·
Registered
24 Posts
i just used a napa filter ,i work in a fleet shop and we use wix...we have no problems, and we dont change the filters til the trucks stop:badidea:
but its not up to me lol

·
Registered
349 Posts
There is step by step instructions under The Do It Yourself Thread for changing your fuel filter. ( Pictures too ) I would buy from one of our supporting vendors, they do help us alot for free.
Hope this help you,
Mike

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Be aware that although all fuel filters are Racor, there are three varieties on the street now: 1) original single pleat design 2) second dual pleat design and 3) third "long can" dual pleat design. Any "bargain" fuel filters are most likely the original single pleats that will give you less effective filtration. You get what you pay for. I strongly suggest you buy latest versions at good prices from trusted vendor sponsors, Kennedy, DMaxAlliTech or Greg Landuyt instead.
Ditto!

If your getting a fuel filter for under about $28 I'd bet you are getting the older single pleat filter that someone has under priced to lower their inventory. New dual pleat goes about $28 - $32.

Be carefull what you buy unless your running secondary filtration otherwise that "cheap" filter could come back to haunt you later.

My .02

·
Registered
126 Posts

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
Are the part #'s different for the "old" single pleat vs. the "new" dual pleat and what are they?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
changed mine twice now every 15000 miles cut open outside filter
black inside just starting to change colors white-black.got my filte
rs from kennedy diesel.work great.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the help. I feel the same way as you guys as far as getting what you pay for. I will check out our vendors.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If all filters are made by Racor, that doesn't make all filters constructed equal regardless of prices. Racor like other manufacturers make the product per specifications made by outside companies so no two filters made by Racor under different brands are same.

I know from my experience working with tires at Sears when I was fresh out of college many years ago. Sears had Michelin and Armstrong tires made them the tires per Sears's specifications and the construction of tires are little different between Sears and Michelin /Armstrong even though they made tires for Sears.

The price plays the major role on quality of a product. Buys a reliable/ reputable brands from reputable sources. Period. Cheap product can be costly in end of run if something goes wrong.

I can say from my experience last week with my snowmobile. Piston burned down and ruined the head and cylinder jug last March. I bought new cylinder jug and head from a private party less than 50 percent of actual cost from the dealer. Sounds great deal... Right? Well WRONG!
After putting engine together and had real slow coolant seepage on outside where head and jug mated. Redo topend twice and still problem persisted. I ran out of time due to work schedule so had a dealer mechanic working on it last week. Took him a couple of different jugs, gaskets and other few things even shaved head abit and problem still persisted. He was about to blow my snowmobile up then he tried different head and yep it solved the problem but cost me 3 times more than what I would have gotten new head from dealer directly. Lesson learned!!!! :banghead:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts