Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had some poor mileage problem

DS4 IP seem to works but...
when check out with Tech 1:
no DTC
TDCO learned -1.5 (fine) ...relearn at same value
DES/ACT timing 4.9 (very low timing value vs TDC )
fuel mm 12 (too high at idle).

about 230.000 km on it.

think is an IP problem but ask to some Guru if is time to change IP or there is something to check before buy a new one.

·
Administrator
21,775 Posts
had some poor mileage problem

DS4 IP seem to works but...
when check out with Tech 1:
no DTC
TDCO learned -1.5 (fine) ...relearn at same value
DES/ACT timing 4.9 (very low timing value vs TDC )
fuel mm 12 (too high at idle).

about 230.000 km on it.

think is an IP problem but ask to some Guru if is time to change IP or there is something to check before buy a new one.
Is the engine up to operating temps when you get those values?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, about 183 F over the mimimun temperature request for TDCO procedure

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,020 Posts
Is it throwing any codes?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no current and history DTC

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
If your injectors are the old original equipment. They are way past their service life. I would check/replace injectors before doing the pump. Bad injectors will drop your fuel mileage.

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
new injectors.... about 20.000 km ago

·
Administrator
21,775 Posts
A stretched/worn timing chain can cause issues

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"A stretched/worn timing chain can cause issues"
True... but i think if the timing chain is stretched/worn, you can see also difference from DES and ACT timing. if the value is very close and no degree delta average between the 2, i will suppose timing chain is OK, or i am thinking bad?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the question is what can cause a so low timing advance with a TDCO set to -1.50?
usually i seen 8-8.5 DES/ACT timing with TDCO set at -1.50
and a value of 4.9 i have now is out of spec, or what i had before
maybe a bad stepper motor ? (but i have not a code 34 or other code related)
bad OPT sensor?
or something else?
the only issue happen before was a shorted cable to ground to IP Shutoff Solenoid that cause engine shutoff (isolated/repaired the cable it returned to works).

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it was long time never check with Tech 1A the timing....
and a Fass lift pump set to 14 psi was installed, ... more then needed to IP? ...too much pressure can take effect on timing?
when installed Fass LP seen what pressure is raccomented, and 14 psi was in spec, or not so bad for a DS4 IP...seen others forumist setting more pressure, but i don't know if their IP timing changed.
for what i know DS4 is not influenced by inlet pressure...or not?

·
Administrator
21,775 Posts
it was long time never check with Tech 1A the timing....
and a Fass lift pump set to 14 psi was installed, ... more then needed to IP? ...too much pressure can take effect on timing?
when installed Fass LP seen what pressure is raccomented, and 14 psi was in spec, or not so bad for a DS4 IP...seen others forumist setting more pressure, but i don't know if their IP timing changed.
for what i know DS4 is not influenced by inlet pressure...or not?
My airdog runs at 11psi. The DS4 only needs 5psi constant to be happy.

I would reduce your pressure down to 11-12psi.

Anything above and beyond that will get returned to the tank via the return so you basically end up just polishing your fuel constantly

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
74 Posts
My airdog runs at 11psi. The DS4 only needs 5psi constant to be happy.

I would reduce your pressure down to 11-12psi.

Anything above and beyond that will get returned to the tank via the return so you basically end up just polishing your fuel constantly
What scanner or software are you using to see that info?
I need to test it too

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I need to test it too
economic way:
you need a pressure gauge for it
you can measure at T valve from fuel filter, if the tap is in good condition and does not leak from the orings when opened
otherwise you have a false measurement (something less...depend from leaks).

more expensive way:
for a more precise and constant measurement you could buy an electronic pressure gauge with the pressure sensor positioned on the fuel hose that goes from the fuel filter to the IP, and gauge inside the cab.

that's all

Reactions: OkDually

·
Administrator
21,775 Posts
I need to test it too
I have Fuel pressure, Boost and EGT gauges in my truck to monitor things

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
O.K. Fuel pressure has no effect on timing. The ds4 pump has one of the best timing devices ever developed for a mechanical pump. The CPU monitors the timing and alters the timing regardless of pressure. To watch it working while running observe the little lever on the stepper motor vibrating back and forth trying to maintain steady advance position You are way past due for a timing chain. A loose chain can play havoc with proper IP operation because the IP is actually vibrating back and forth while operating. What kind of injectors did you install? Can you revert back to a stock eprom to see if that has an effect?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thank You Very Much for your reply DieselPro
1) installed Bosch new injectors body made in India with new nozzle made in Brazil, pop pressure tested by myself at 2200 psi.
2) revert back to a stock eprom now is like impossible due to EGR delete, modified air intake, no vacum pump, etc...was an "S" intake. but all EGR sensors are pluged....
However I had already tried, ... made and tested an eprom with all stock table, timing table, fuel table, back to stock and had no effect, the eprom tested was same of original, retain data for "EGR delete" only, all DTC's code are set active, and had no code stored, actual or history.
No effetc, nothing change.

i will change timing kit chain in spring asap, bad news .... cloyer complete kit stored has not key included, where find the keys for make the job complete?

* for high fuel rate at idle: ... might the high fuel inlet pressure have anything to do? .... is it necessary to try to lower the pressure? ... or would it be a useless waste of time?

what i find very strange is why my timing is not going up to desired.
TDCO vs ACT/DES is not on spec.
.. something is not working as it should ... but what?

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,371 Posts
What is the current MPG that you consider as poor?
Let's compare notes on that first.

Replacing a good IP with a chance to replace it with bad IP is a risk.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
this is also true ...
considering that a factory new IP is no longer available but you can only find it remanufactured (depends on who and how ... and how long it lasts)

my mileage before was from something more 19 MPG never under 18 MPG
and now something less 16 MPG to 17 MPG maximum, about 2 MPG drop

think i will consider buying one only after changing timing chain

1 - 20 of 27 Posts