Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
looking to spend about $1500 to $3000 on mods for my truck. I am looking to gain power. i do a fair amount of towing, but nothing heavy at all (18 ft ski boat). Reliability is a must as the truck is my daily driver. Thanks for the help guys.
Mike Richied

·
Registered
289 Posts
If you plan on adding 80HP or less, you can do A LOT with that much money. Programmer, guages, exhaust, interior/exterior mods and so on...

If you want more HP than that, the first thing i would do is get a SunCoast or ATS trans... then exhaust and EFI live...

Start searching the site and get ready to get addicted!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well,
i have been checking out the banks big hoss bundle or the six gun with the speed loader, what do you guys think of those?
Mike

·
Registered
289 Posts
They are very nice and great to start with but you wont be able to use their full potential. Remember that your trans will need to be beefed up if you plan on using more than 80 extra RWHP... Lots of guys add a programmer, guages, exhaust, etc and are very happy. If you want to add more power, a trans is in your future.

Do a search on programmers or Banks or Bully Dog or edge... and so on... eventually you'll figure out what you want, hopefully! lol

·
Registered
187 Posts
will you smoke a tranny on a tune over 80hp? if u use it once in a while or is it only if u beat on it with a over 80hp tune.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
trans question

what would i need to do to my trans to add the banks big hoss bundle/
Mike

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Unless you want to spend $5-7 k............I would just get a mild tow tune and leave it there and not play with anything over 50 rwhp !! I would get a full exhaust also !! You could do that for around $750 !!

I know a guy with a Banks 6 gun and he is limping his trans like crazy on the upper levels..........he just doesn't think it's doing anything to it and I got tired of trying to explain that it was not just a safety mechanism .....that it was working on the clutches !!

All of them have safe lower tunes...........problem is keeping them down on those tunes !! :)

But as to your last question to handle the 6 gun :

Minimum probably is a convertor and trans-go ($2500).........probably would be all you need..........but if it doesn't handle it........a SCIII would have only cost you ($3500)!! So there is definately a risk of having to do the trans. twice........probably not likely with just a 6 gun.........but a risk there no doubt !!

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
basically, the trans will only limp when its in 4th or 5th. mostly 5th, the line pressure is not sufficient for mor than usually 80/90 hp adders. the good thing is most of the programs have levels that are less than that. i have the edge /attitude. very nice lots of safety features, but in level 3 i limped it three times now and now run it in one. need 6000 for suncoast stage5. IMO, do the exhaust, remove the cat using a down pipe, and CAI, and a tuner that is easily adjustable,like the edge, or predator. edge is shift an the fly, predator is load and go. both are good and powerful.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I am a relative newbie to the diesel world (1st diesel and had it a year). My first suggestion is READ, READ, READ! there is a lot of info and great folks at this site but if you don't use the search function first folks tend to get "irritated" and rightfully so. Once you have done your research you can ask questions that either did not get answered or you still don't understand and folks are more than willing to elaborate, distill or give their opinion.

It all comes down to what do you want!

I have added mods at a reasonable clip but not to fast. As someone noted earlier, its an "Addiction".

I have added the following and am happy as mine is a daily driver with some light towing.

- blocker plate
- remote start (Astrostart 2205a)
- 1-1/2"cranked torsion bars (removes the front rake)
- Predator tuner with 65 tune installed (good power imporvement but not too much)
- back up camera
- ordered my 4" turbo back exhaust last night

future: bigger tires (stock now)
pyro and boost gauges

Hope this has been helpful. And check out the DIY (Do it Yourself) section, there are great threads on maintence and mods with pictures!

Steve

·
Registered
187 Posts
seems like its going to be a sweet setup

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
stacks04;1590052; said:
basically, the trans will only limp when its in 4th or 5th. mostly 5th, the line pressure is not sufficient for mor than usually 80/90 hp adders. the good thing is most of the programs have levels that are less than that. i have the edge /attitude. very nice lots of safety features, but in level 3 i limped it three times now and now run it in one. need 6000 for suncoast stage5. IMO, do the exhaust, remove the cat using a down pipe, and CAI, and a tuner that is easily adjustable,like the edge, or predator. edge is shift an the fly, predator is load and go. both are good and powerful.
Don't be fooled by the marketing slogans otherwise known as "safety features", how good is the protection if you are limping your trans?

IMO, forget the harness type boxes and as long as you have a stock trans you don't need a switcheable tune, your trans can't take more than 700rwtq without hurting clutches so "set it and forget it" while you save for trans parts. As far as mods go, I vote for gauges, a complete 4" exhaust from the down pipe back, and EFILive(most vendors include a small tow tune) or if you don't want to learn to tune your own truck just buy an EFILive based tune from one of the well known tuners here on the board.

·
Registered
117 Posts
And don't forget to open up the air intake.

K&N, Volant, Airraid, AFE, etc.

Fast in, (intake) fast out (exhaust).

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
the safety features will only work if they are turned on. in my case with the edge i have it set to not defuel at any shift, nor do i have the slip defuel set. no perticular reason just don't want it on. plus i have the hot tune on the edge which doesn't help. now i run it in level 1 and an saving for a trans.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, how about this. What if i was to get and install the edge juice with attitude, a banks ram-air kit and stinger exhaust? Sorry for all the questions, i am kinda lost on this stuff
Mike Richied

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
thats a good combo, IF, and its a big if you can control yourself and not run the power higher than level 2, and not beat the shizzle out of it. the trans will hold the power in the lower gears but will slip in 4th and 5th with the higher power levels. also i just bought and installed s/b filters cai and it looks and fits perfect. i'll post pic later if you want.

·
Registered
294 Posts
programer(edge w/juice hot unlock), cold air intake(s&b), exhasut( motoblue dual), lift pumps(tts), finger stick and blocker plate, ppe fuel valve shim kit & boost controller, mechanical boost guage (autometer) & a transgo jr shift kit. All parts will run you about $2000 + about another $500 for labor on all.... These are my mods, love the power, no slipping of the tranny and getting around 21 mpg. Check out my garage....

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
stacks04;1592742; said:
the safety features will only work if they are turned on. in my case with the edge i have it set to not defuel at any shift, nor do i have the slip defuel set. no perticular reason just don't want it on. plus i have the hot tune on the edge which doesn't help. now i run it in level 1 and an saving for a trans.
Those settings are hard on a stock trans. Don't be fooled by marketing strategies, how do you think the Edge box knows the trans is slipping? It has to slip before slippage can be detected. Any of you guys notice your Allison shifting funky immedately after changing power levels? Ever notice your shift quality go away when running on the higher levels? Ever wonder what's happening to your clutches at that point?

IMO, at these power levels there are better things to spend money on than a CAI. I know of a 12 sec truck running a stock AC Delco paper element that switched to an aftermarket CAI and gained absolutely nothing, zero, but it's your money.

Other things to consider when purchasing a power adder might be, do you ever plan on running more power in the future, adjust for tire size changes or gear changes, adjustment of speed limiter, rev limiter, EGR disable, elevated idle adjustment, DIC mileage corrections, what about a scan tool for reading DTC codes, want to check injector balance rates, want to ad some boost to help control EGT’s? What about drivability? Bang for the buck? Those are just a few things that come to mind when I think about the wide range of features available in power adders.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok, one more try

ok,
how does this sound? Edge juice w/ attitude, afe stage 1 air cleaner, and MBRP Pro stainless 5 inch exhaust? Thanks again guys for all the help, it is much appreciated
Mike Richied

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
race hemi is right about being hard on stock trans, and its your money. But i have a hard time spending money for nothing, thus using my edge and not worrying about my trans, when and only when it does not go forward or backward is when i will get a performance trans. i cant keep the stock alli when i buy a new trans so what is the point of returning a working core. plus the CAI may not give you power but it certainly does give you cold air. i had my plow on with 1000# of sant and salt in the bed and never saw more than 1100 degrees of egt, nor did i every go past 192 degrees ect. where as two weeks ago i had the stock air box on the truck, same plow conditions and i was over 205 degrees ect. and hitting 1300 egt. so they may not give you 50 hp but they help cool things down.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts