Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I know I’ve got a 2nd thread asking about airbags, but also wanted to know about these as well. I’ve given myself analysis paralysis already, but more feedback is always good. I like the idea of both bags and rubber stops for all obvious reasons.

I hear a lot of people say that they don’t even feel Timbrens when unloaded (which I’d appreciate), and others that say it’s a harsh ride over crappy roads, etc. Any input here? I’d be considering the standard-service, double-convoluted version.

I have also been looking at Sumo Springs; I know there are a few options when it comes to them. It appears only one of which isn’t in full contact all the time, unless I’m misunderstanding things. These have less rated weight capacity at only 1,500lbs, but I’ve read that the ride once engaged is smoother, which makes sense.

Their other two options appear to be a progressive 2pc top/bottom full contact design where one side is softer for comfortable unloaded driving. Those seem to be in the $500 range; and at that point, I’d absolutely do bags. https://www.supersprings.com/application-guide/

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've had both Firestones & Timbrens hauling a 15,000 lb 5er, the Timbrens performed as good or better for a lot less $$, and install in minutes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far, I’ve only hauled a decent size bed full of firewood just over the bedrails, and it it was more than fine. Wish I had the capability to weigh it, to give me some perspective. The truck still sat just above level. My ‘97 F350 had the arched overload springs and rode like dump even without weight; I hauled two 3600lb loads of stone, and it was just below level. This new 2018 truck is going to spoil me; it might not have the payload capacity...but holy heck, it sure does everything else better and is so smooth.

I’ve got a trip west coming up this winter where I’ll have an aluminum sled deck and two snowmobiles on top (say 1500lb total plus gear; not concerned with the weight so much as the position of the load. Just want to make sure I’m not left feeling like I’m driving a wet noodle, or back in my old lumber wagon partially engaging replacement bump stops.

75% of the time (give or take), I’ll have no need for any extra support- I want to make sure that 25% counts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered the SumoSprings SSR-207-47 and used a holiday discount code “sumosizeme” for an additional 25% off, got free shipping, and it came out to $137.81 to my door.

Figure they were worth a shot at that price.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yep, for that price if you don't like them you can try airbags, but if they perform like Timbrens you'll probably be happy with them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m sure the install of the Timbrens would be just as easy; it took a half hour or less for these, which includes gathering my floor jacks and some wooden blocks. Definitely no impact on unloaded ride, at least on a short local trip yesterday. I definitely needed to use the jack and wood block to install them; they would squeeze into their pocket easily on their own, but wouldn’t stay in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yep Timbrens go in exact same way, like I said install is like 10-15 mins, & ya you need the weight of the truck with a 2x4 to pop them into the pockets.
Are those solid or do they compress slightly?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep Timbrens go in exact same way, like I said install is like 10-15 mins, & ya you need the weight of the truck with a 2x4 to pop them into the pockets.
Are those solid or do they compress slightly?
I’d say they’re just a bit softer than the factory bump stops. Looks like roughly 1”-1-1/2” from bump stop to the axle pad. Lighter than I expected, but I think that’s due to the type of polyurethane used, which is said to have air bubbles in it. I’d think that from what I’ve read, the Timbrens would be heavier and stiffer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Timbrens are pretty stiff for sure but my truck is 3500 with overloads before installing them my trailer would squat the overloads a couple of inches, with the Timbrens the overloads are not quite touching. Good luck with them & report back how you like them when you get to use them

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Forgot to update my thread! I still have the SumoSprings on my truck; I figure about 10k miles with them so far, and I can’t tell they’re back there unloaded if I didn’t look. I haven’t towed anything that’s really worked the truck, but have had about 600lb or so of snowmobile & gear in the bed which just barely has them touching, and I still don’t notice an overly stiff ride. I’ve also hauled a couple snowmobile trailers last winter with bed full of gear; both from Ohio to Montana and to the UP. I think they provided a little additional support over some nasty road heaves out west and reduced bounce. They probably have not been needed for what I’ve done with the truck so far; but I haven’t noticed them in a bad way, either. I consider them $140 well spent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts