Diesel Place banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
I would still use 1/2 inch sub floor atleast a 3/8.
Hate to see you bust your ass for all your work and see your tiles and grout popping up.
Not familiar with that mortar at home depot.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Ya I’m going to stick with 1/2”. I haven’t done any research on brands yet not sure it matters a ton. This is just what I’m finding with a quick look. I want something ratted for exteriors for the first floor just in case my house ever floods.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-MegaLite-Gray-30-lb-Crack-Prevention-Mortar-MLMG30/202753970

Next step down

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-FlexBond-Gray-50-lb-Fortified-Thin-Set-Mortar-FB50/100122448

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Might want to consider a vinyl plank flooring for that second story room over the garage that has the flexing problem. No chance of water damage there and would eliminate cracked tiles!

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I don't care for vinyl in anything. Cost to much for what it is IMO.

Started the demo of the old tile. Yep this is going to suck. I'll be at this project for the next 6 months.

6hrs in. Not sure if I need to get a grinder and grid off some more of the thinset to get the floor flatter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
A few pieses of tile. You can tell a huge difference in how hard the tile is to demo based on how well their coverage was with the thinset. Most of it is about 75%. Some of it is 95% and I have to break it into powder to get it up. On my install I'm going for 95% and pity the guys that get to take it up.

The far right was next to the wall where they left some paint on the floor and tiled over it. It came up easy thinset and all. The floor was in good shape for 13 years old. I'm suprised where they tiled over the paint didn't come lose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I've only jack hammered up tile a few times. But seem to recall using a much larger bit. It was about 4 inches wide and I'd use it almost vertical to get up the thin-set. Home Depot rental. It was the bit the guy gave me for tile removal from concrete. Went pretty well. Use lots of water. It helps break the bond.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ya I use the little one for the tiles and have a big one for the thinset. I’ll try more water. I’ve only been using enough to keep the dust down.

The videos I’ve seen online the thin set comes right up. I don’t know if this is a modified thin set and that’s why it’s a bit harder. Where I first started I actually took a quarter inch of concrete out not realizing I have gone through the thin set and into the concrete.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Ya I use the little one for the tiles and have a big one for the thinset. I’ll try more water. I’ve only been using enough to keep the dust down.

The videos I’ve seen online the thin set comes right up. I don’t know if this is a modified thin set and that’s why it’s a bit harder. Where I first started I actually took a quarter inch of concrete out not realizing I have gone through the thin set and into the concrete.

I did run into that as well. Some areas the thinset seemed like it just never wanted to come up. Honestly, in those cases, I got off "enough" of it. Lived with it as tile was going back down. They make a big industrial type of grinder for that. No, no experience with those. Just saw them on-line.

Letting the water sit for a bit seemed to help. Either way, still a sucky job. Hence why I've only done it a few times - lol. No mas!

I do have a regular sized diamond grinding cup wheel for concrete for leveling, knocking down small areas. Expensive, but I guess it could be used if you really feel the need to knock it down more.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-4-in-Double-Row-Diamond-Cup-Wheel-HD-AWD40/202884364

And the big grinder thing I was talking about:

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Slow going with work and family life. stairs, office, foyer, and half the living room is done. Tiling is going fine just slow. Grouting isn’t going as well as I like. Having the joints not end up low has been a struggle. I had to change the way I was doing things and it’s not too bad now, but I still end up with a few low spots.I’m using fusion Pro so you only have 45 minutes to spread it out and get the tiles cleaned up. Everything looks good in that timeframe but the next morning when I come look at the joints I’ll have a few low spots. I’m using this narrow end of a rubber trowel and trying to pack it in the joints pretty good but it just doesn’t seem to be cutting it.

Anyways here’s some pics. Still some haze I need to clean off the tile, so their color is a little off. Also need to put down the Base shoe and repaint the trim.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Are you wiping them out or not packing them well enough?

Using my ol' med to hard rubber grout float https://www.homedepot.com/p/QEP-4-in-x-9-1-2-in-Gum-Rubber-Grout-Float-with-Traditional-Wooden-Handle-and-Non-Stick-Gum-Rubber-10061Q/100187695 , I just did a grout job and it went great. Fushion pro. No problems filling the lines, just had to make sure not to over wipe. Kinda tough here as I have no minutes before it starts to haze. So dry here. I keep a distilled water spray mist bottle handy. I spray the tiles before and during the process and still have to hustle. I think that's what's holding Fushion Pro back here in the dry desert from catching on - guys just don't want to deal with that.

Anyhow, good luck with the rest. Pack it FULL and don't over wipe the lines, always being sure to wipe across at an angle and never parallel or perpendicular with the lines so your sponge doesn't go down in the line. That's all I got. I can tell ya, my own house is mostly tile done by the builder and the grout lines are terrible. Some very high and some very low - just like the tiles themselves :hehe:

I always say I need to quit taking care of my cement grout so I can one day replace it with Fushion Pro and do it right. I seal once every 3-5 years or so - when the water won't bead. Not bad, I guess.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
A little of both now I think. At first while laying tile I was using the point of a brick trowel to scrap the thinset out around the tile before laying the next one. To keep it from coming up between the tiles. I quit doing that, because I was having with so much trouble with it being low after grouting and using a ton of it. Now I think I’m over wiping a little, because it’s getting to dry on me and I’m having to scrub it. I will try a spray bottle. Then I’m also ended up up with areas about 1” long that are low randomly. That might be from me losing track of where I have packed and haven’t. When I’m dragging the excess grout off the tile with the edge of my float.

I’m OCD to though so low to me is if I can catch my finger nail on it.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
A little of both now I think. At first while laying tile I was using the point of a brick trowel to scrap the thinset out around the tile before laying the next one. To keep it from coming up between the tiles. I quit doing that, because I was having with so much trouble with it being low after grouting and using a ton of it. Now I think I’m over wiping a little, because it’s getting to dry on me and I’m having to scrub it. I will try a spray bottle. Then I’m also ended up up with areas about 1” long that are low randomly. That might be from me losing track of where I have packed and haven’t. When I’m dragging the excess grout off the tile with the edge of my float.

I’m OCD to though so low to me is if I can catch my finger nail on it.

If you put too much pressure on the sponge with your hand you can dig into the grout lines too. Your fingers will be pushing thru the sponge. I use 3 to 4 buckets of water from cleanest to dirtiest and cycle them thru as each gets progressively dirtier. Thereby only cleaning one bucket out at a time. And I really like the grout sponges with one side covered in microfiber. But I still keep the white plastic brillo and tile cleaner handy to remove that stubborn haze I missed after it sets. Sometimes even a razor blade. Fushion Pro is so awesome. Maybe a little too. lol

I hate any tile work and try and avoid it. I'm too old, too fat and too white. :D

I use this because it's safe and suggested by Fushion Pro.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The spray bottle worked awesome!!! I can’t believe I haven’t seen anyone else mention that with all the research I’ve done on putting down Fusion Pro. Clean up was so much easier. Ground lines just a touch low for my liking, but ok.
Due to things setting up on me I have been probably been using to much pressure on the float. Now with the spray bottle I bet I can get away with a lot less, so they should be pretty good now.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Reactions: mp06011999
21 - 33 of 33 Posts