Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im about to order my cognito leveling kit with 4 bilsteins and the cognito steering brace. i know i need to upgrade my tie rods. the HD ones are dam expensive though. can i just get away with a set of tie rod sleeves? i know its a lot cheaper and probably not as good but im not gonna be doing any serious towing or offroading so they would be ok for me right?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Yes you could get sleeves, but...Let me tell you I just got the cognito HD tierods in the mail and holy cow are those things big!! 1" O.D. Putting these on my truck this weekend!!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya but thats just another like 300 bucks for me to spend man i need to save my money

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
300?? I believe Nick has them going for $230 right now. Can always upgrade to them down the road when the current tierods loosen up.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my bad maybe its the steering braces that are more expensive i got the two prices confused.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Don't forget.....if you get the heim joint tie-rods for your stock spindles they won't work on an aftermarket spindle if you ever decide to do a lift.

If your short on cash then run the sleeves for now. You can always upgrade later......and later might mean a lift anyway:D

·
Banned
1,769 Posts
my bad maybe its the steering braces that are more expensive i got the two prices confused.
hey jackh, your getting ready to drop some cash on the dmax. you will like the cognito leveling kit. nick from norcal is a great person to deal with. how about starting a garage when your done so we can see the outcome!!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya i placed my order with him last night he was very helpful we were on the phone probably an hr with him doin most of the talkin explainin to me all different stuff. my package includes the cognito leveling kit, 4 bilsteins, tie rod sleeves and the pitman and idler arm braces. he said they should be here by friday. if i can decide what tire to buy i should have everything done this weekend. ill post pictures as soon as i do

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here are some pics of the Cognito tie rods. Beefy.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
they definitely are beefy

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I just got my cognito rods, all i have to say is WOW they are HUGE!!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
im about to order my cognito leveling kit with 4 bilsteins and the cognito steering brace. i know i need to upgrade my tie rods. the HD ones are dam expensive though. can i just get away with a set of tie rod sleeves? i know its a lot cheaper and probably not as good but im not gonna be doing any serious towing or offroading so they would be ok for me right?
Sleeves are fine. Wouldnt worry about it til you have a built tranny and a big tune in it and are doing boosted launches...

·
Registered
443 Posts
The tie rods are next on my list. I have been real happy with the control arms and braces.

·
Banned
1,769 Posts
norcal truck giving free tie rod ends?

i wonder if nick from norcal would give us members free cognito hd tie rod ends for xmas? dp members could test the product being its sorta new. it is the time of year for giving right? and for a little stocking stuffer, he could throw in some cash for the re-alignment after there installed. i want to be a tester. count me in norcal.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
i wonder if nick from norcal would give us members free cognito hd tie rod ends for xmas? dp members could test the product being its sorta new. it is the time of year for giving right? and for a little stocking stuffer, he could throw in some cash for the re-alignment after there installed. i want to be a tester. count me in norcal.
:funnypost:funnypost:lol::lol:

·
Registered
533 Posts
So if agressive 4wd boosted launches are in your future, then the tie-rods are better then the sleeves?

·
Registered
443 Posts
So if agressive 4wd boosted launches are in your future, then the tie-rods are better then the sleeves?
No, they will both be fine for that, it just looks like the joint on the cognitos might last longer than the OE one. No one has broken a sleeve doing a 4wd launch to my knowledge.

·
Gone but not forgotten member
11,311 Posts
I'd say a few sled pullers would beg to differ. Check "myojunk"s garage

1 - 20 of 29 Posts