Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In one day of running simple trails I broke 3 tierods and I have Sd sleves is there any realy solution out side of SAS

other info
each time they broke I was climbing soft hills I had 2 1500 chevys and they had no issues climbing or any kind of brakage. is this normal for my set up

6inch rcd
35 muds
superchips base tune
sd sleves

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Go fabtech rods they are huge ! look in my garage !

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Also cognito makes a hiem joint tie rod kit. I dont know about the legal state of them but they are beefy. You could check them out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
DOH! I just put some SD sleeves on. my peace of mind just went out the window!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I run fabtech tie rods and just did a trail ride with hard blues and had no problems at all. There were some really rocky sections and I was worried, but had no issues. Hung in with the jeepers like a pro. I got my alignment done afterwords and he said it wasn't far off at all. It had been a long time since my last one though. And I've been known to hop a few curbs. :D

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Interesting. The most powerful drag and pulling duramaxes can't break them. I would like to see a pic if possible on where they broke. The Fabtech will still bend at the threads where it is unsupported (a little bigger then OEM but not nearly as big as the sleeves).

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Lifted trucks will snap the ends off easy too. I agree with Superdiesel on the NO SNAPING A SLEEVE ! It is thick and has never on any truck shown any breakage at all.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
The ones I've seen broke the tapered stud at the knuckle during heavy off-roading, the SD sleeve was OK.

I hope he will post pictures of his failure. (I don't know if it's the same type of failure).

Does anyone make a stronger tie-rod end that can be lubed and would work with the SD sleeves? Or, how about SD sleves for the Fabtech tie-rods? :D - I'm not sold on the hiem joint tie rod kit from Cognito.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Hiems are real hard on a front end. Yes Superdiesel could prolly fab a sleeve for anything. Our weak spot is the tapered pin and the ends. The fab tech has a bit heavier end but is not impervious to breakage.

·
Registered
357 Posts
get some cognito tie rods. Extremely strong, i dont think you could even try to break them if u wanted to. Mine have held up to some pretty gnarly boosted launches with 37's and wheelin.

·
Registered
357 Posts
here is a pic of the cognito braces

edit: well i cant seem to be able to get the pic bigger, u can see it though. If anyone wants a better pic just email melol

·
Registered
382 Posts
The hiem joint is great but, the salt in the winter would eat them alive real fast here in Michigan. I have seen the setup on mudders and they work great. Ideally the complete system should be beefed up to larger compontents to handle the stress of the heavy front end plus the torque that is being applied to the system.

·
Registered
122 Posts
here, if anyone would be interested, www.exact.ca. I have ordered this kit from these guys, my frontend has gotten loose and needs to updated.

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Big D';1605232; said:
The hiem joint is great but, the salt in the winter would eat them alive real fast here in Michigan. I have seen the setup on mudders and they work great. Ideally the complete system should be beefed up to larger compontents to handle the stress of the heavy front end plus the torque that is being applied to the system.
They make hiem joint seals for this reason, then just cosmoline everything else. Mine look like new still after enduring pittsburgh salt.
As far as hiems being harder on a front end-wrong. Same kind of contact inside a tierod, just more grease. And I can replace hiems for 1/2 the price of any tierod.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...sults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=700+115

1 - 20 of 22 Posts